Reaching the tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Non-Fixable Freeflow: Modulating/Feathering the Tank Valve to Breath

To recap on an Uncontrolled/Unfixable Free-Flow:

Shut your tank valve down. When you need to take a breath, crack open the tank valve and shut it down again. Repeat as needed, switch to your back-up reg/octopus as well if the unregulated flow of gas from the malfunctioning primary reg is too much to handle. Perform this tank valve "feathering/modulation" technique whilst doing a CESA (if your buddy is nowhere to be seen and you're essentially solo). . .With your left hand, slow your CESA rate via BCD/wing hose deflator dump button . . .with your right hand reach back, feather/modulate your tank valve and take breaths as needed.

All it takes is practice, and although the technique is covered in tech & advanced overhead wreck/cave/ice diving training courses, IMHO --it should be a skill first taught and at least presented/attempted, as an alternative free-flow option & solution to consider, in basic open water scuba class. . .

Or even better dump the octopus and use 2 first stages one for each regulator even on single tank diving.
That way you shut off one valve and keep breathing from the working reg.
Also keep dry suit and BCD inflators on different first stage.

Cheers

Fabio

I thought we were all supposed to dive with a buddy. If you have to turn your own tank on/off, you're not doing something right.

I thought we were all supposed to dive with a buddy. If you have to turn your own tank on/off, you're not doing something right.
As far as proper application of the buddy system goes..... it's far from right. Diving with a 'nominated buddy' is not the same as having an attentive, aware and reactive partner to assist you at all times on the dive. That can happen with established, long-standing (or particularly well-trained) buddy teams.... but it's rare to non-existent with insta-buddies you get lumped with if travelling. That's even if you get a nominated buddy.... as 'cattle diving' in a herd following some distant divemaster seems to be the favored trend in many vacation locales nowadays...

Even when diving with a buddy, you should always be prepared to finish the dive alone should that happen for any reason. Diving in poor visibility, I have had more than a few occasions when I lost sight of a buddy who was very close. Even if it only takes a minute or so to reconnect, I should be able to handle anything that happens during that minute. Staying with your buddy is always a part of the dive plan, but relying on the buddy as the only way to solve a problem is not.

I've discovered that I can't reach the tank valve while diving. I'm going to try some stretching and range-of-motion exercises to see if it's a problem I can fix.

Is this common?

I can reach it if I have to. Which for some reason I cannot recall ever really needing to while singles diving. I reach back and lift the tank up and away tilting the valve to my shoulder to help. I have multiple shoulder injuries in both shoulders, cycle wrecks, motorcycle wrecks, fell down running from hornets, you name it. Not something I am particularly concerned with. Priority is down there with snorkels being left or right.

N

I know this is an old thread but I will post: I cannot reach my valve when diving singles; recently I started diving double LP50s. I can easily reach both valves and the manifold.
I wish I could convert my LP85s to doubles (I guess I could) but that is just too heavy to lift in the car and/or drag to the dive shop for air fill.

Diving single I cannot reach it; if I loosen my BP/W harness then I can pull the thing up and to the side.

I found that I can reach a single tank fairly easily, even in midwater if I shrug the vest upwards and a bit to the side (the side from which I am reaching). An important difference would be that your tank isn't usually short, and/or you don't have it attached too low on the BCD. Occasionally you see whole groups with single tanks attached with the valve almost at the bottom edge of the shoulder blades, tank hanging almost to the back of their knees. THAT I probably could not open.

It's just practise, and gentle repeated streching can do wonders for your range of movement.

Last edited:
Setting the tank upside down can be a solution, provided you have a valve protection. That's my choice : having my left shoulder twice dislocated, it tends to be stiff too often to my liking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom