Opening a dive center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to manage a dive center that was equipped with BP&W. One-size-fits-all, so it's an economical way to stock sufficient BCDs to cope with any eventuality.

Where my diver center operated, it was impossible to equip to cater for every eventuality, even with relatively small group sizes. On one day we'd have a group of 8 Korean ladies....all needing XS-S bcds... the next day we'd have a group of marines, all needing XL-XXL bcds. And every combination between....

The downside to using BP&W is that they need to be properly fitted to the visiting divers. You need staff with the experience to do this. They need to be experienced BP&W divers in their own right.

You need to allocate more time for initial set-up and adjustment. Also, some divers won't like them - even if only because they are unfamiliar with the design.

However, in respect to comfort and/or suitability, there are no issues with choosing BP&W style. I've used them for teaching OW, for conducting DSDs etc.... no problems. In fact, it's evven easier to use them with divers who haven't been 'conditioned' to using jacket BCDs.

New divers do not seek out small remote locations to start their scuba experience.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. Besides, you didn't even give any useful feedback to my question. Please move on.

If you're setting up a dive shop check out VIP diving in Bonaire... best LOOKING dive shop I've ever seen.

Hi. Thanks for the input. I just googled it and the website has a picture of their equipment room. Very nicely arranged.

I used to manage a dive center that was equipped with BP&W. One-size-fits-all, so it's an economical way to stock sufficient BCDs to cope with any eventuality.

Where my diver center operated, it was impossible to equip to cater for every eventuality, even with relatively small group sizes. On one day we'd have a group of 8 Korean ladies....all needing XS-S bcds... the next day we'd have a group of marines, all needing XL-XXL bcds. And every combination between....

The downside to using BP&W is that they need to be properly fitted to the visiting divers. You need staff with the experience to do this. They need to be experienced BP&W divers in their own right.

You need to allocate more time for initial set-up and adjustment. Also, some divers won't like them - even if only because they are unfamiliar with the design.

However, in respect to comfort and/or suitability, there are no issues with choosing BP&W style. I've used them for teaching OW, for conducting DSDs etc.... no problems. In fact, it's evven easier to use them with divers who haven't been 'conditioned' to using jacket BCDs.

Hi Andy, thank you for the feedback. 8 korean ladies with XS-S BCs? Nice. LOL. Jokes aside, I agree with you that BPW are very flexible in term of sizing. The problem with us now is that we don't have access to BPW easily. It has to be ordered from abroad and quite expensive. Not to mention that non of our staff has experience with BPW yet. However, in the future, after we grow into a bigger center, we will definitely look into BPW, side mounts, rebreather, etc.

As a small shop I have 40 tanks, why so many? 50 cu ft aluminum for small adults and children, 72 cu ft steel for those people who may need to ditch a little weight, 80 cu ft al because that is the standard, 100 cu ft steel for people how are gas hogs and 120 cu ft steels for myself. Don't forget about the valves, pro valves give you the option of going DIN to yoke and back with only an allen key. As for BC I will say jacket style bc's this is what most of your customers trained in and are comfortable using. If you don't know how good or bad they are, do you really want them using unfamiliar gear? Also when buying it is not linear, so 2 XXS, 2 S, 3 M, 3 ML, 4L, 3 XL, 2 XXL. The bulk of your gear should fit the average diver for your area so adjust numbers accordingly. Also decide now if you intend to go weight integrated, especially in the larger sizes where getting weight off the belt may be necessary if the diver shape means the belt will slip off.

As a small shop I have 40 tanks, why so many? 50 cu ft aluminum for small adults and children, 72 cu ft steel for those people who may need to ditch a little weight, 80 cu ft al because that is the standard, 100 cu ft steel for people how are gas hogs and 120 cu ft steels for myself. Don't forget about the valves, pro valves give you the option of going DIN to yoke and back with only an allen key. As for BC I will say jacket style bc's this is what most of your customers trained in and are comfortable using. If you don't know how good or bad they are, do you really want them using unfamiliar gear? Also when buying it is not linear, so 2 XXS, 2 S, 3 M, 3 ML, 4L, 3 XL, 2 XXL. The bulk of your gear should fit the average diver for your area so adjust numbers accordingly. Also decide now if you intend to go weight integrated, especially in the larger sizes where getting weight off the belt may be necessary if the diver shape means the belt will slip off.

Hi Abyss Scuba, thanks for the reply. From the stats that we have, most of our resort's guests are adult couples with no children. Some young couples would like to try scuba diving, and some are advanced divers. So I think we can safely eliminate smaller tanks. But I agree with you to have the standard 80 and 100. For the valves, because of the region we are located, we mostly use yoke but with adapter ready in case guests bring their own DIN regs. Thanks for reminding me about this.

For the BCs, I'm thinking of basic Aqualung Wave or Pro HD so they have the choice if they prefer to use integrated weight. For the sizes, I guess you are also right. The majority of guests I met so far have been around M to L for male and S to M for female.

One thing about the Pro valves on tanks is it is nice to be able to make the customer happy to provide a din tank if it is desired however if the din insert isnt removed and rinsed etc then they can become sticky and hard/impossible to remove. I found a few that were stuck in the valves while I was in Curacao.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom