Stop steering new divers in North America towards DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only regs I have EVER used that really "SUCKED" (pun intended) were the used Sherwoods that I had "serviced" before I used them..

Next time take them to someone who knows how to service them. I have Sherwood's going back to the '70's and haven't had that problem with them, however I do my own service. Granted, if your standard is a Venturi assist second stage, any reg without that feature may breathe harder and give you that impression.

Bob

The bigger issue is the cylinder pressures. There are no 300 bar yokes that I am aware of, and they found a loophole with the 232 DIN spec, so progress faltered since there are 232 rated yokes.
I think this is a bit of a fallacy. Not that 300 bar din valves don't exist, I've no doubt that they do. That said, every tank I've ever used with a din valve had the 200 bar "convertible" valve that would accept an insert. Din regulators with the threading for 300 bar may be the standard, but 300 bar valves are far from standard - even where DIN is being used. Probably because of the already mentioned problem of needing a true HP tank and someplace to get it filled to that high pressure.

Ironically my LP 95s have 300 bar valves on them while my HP133s have convertible (230bar) valves.

Does this mean Im going to die?

Last edited:
It is NOT the equipment that makes a "seasoned" diver!!!

It's the seasoning. That, and how you go about cooking your divers once you catch them.
seasoning-a.jpg

Din regulators with the threading for 300 bar may be the standard
Every DIN 1st I've ever seen has the 300 bar threads. And they fit both 300 bar and 200/232 bar valves.

300 bar valves are far from standard - even where DIN is being used.
IME 300 bar valves are very much standard. On tanks rated for 300 bar. But never on tanks with lower pressure rating, for rather obvious reasons. Those tanks have the "old" 5-thread DIN valve rated to 232 bar.

It's the seasoning. That, and how you go about cooking your divers once you catch them.
seasoning-a.jpg
Since I am such a Jerk on here remember when you catch me have your "Jamaican Jerk Rub" and a Red Stripe ready

Warrenz, notice a lack of red in kel's picture? I think your "jerk rub" will need more seasoning. DIN dis, Yoke Dat,; come si, come sa; tomaeto, tomaaaato; potaeto, potaaaato. Been in yokes since the dawn of time as we know it and never had an issue. 3000 psi does an amazing job holding a reg in place; try to move one fully pressurized. DIR and tech divers will disagree with me, I get it, but I've crawled through, banged through and generally abused yoke fittings for years. I currently cant get the rust off of my 1st stage that I embedded in it on a Lake Michigan wreck last month. DIN is a preference, yoke is a preference. Yoke is universal DIN is a status symbol in the US.

BTW, I also have a 10" US Divers KNIFE with a pointy end that I sharpen and bought at a yard sale for $5 in 1985...gave it to my son b/c he is 18 and needs that sort of thing. Dive what you like for whatever reason you like it. There is no "right and wrong". I also use my dry suit for buoyancy control and never put any air in my bc unless I am at the surface.....and I am NOT PADI certified in dry suit.....just some threads I've been following. sorry to ramble.

Safe diving is good diving. Gear is just tools to accomplish the aforementioned objective.

Live Long and Prosper.

[in reply to my concern about the weight of the yoke to DIN adapter]
Adding to the total weight is advantageous as most divers have sh!t trim anyway and any extra weight at their head will help to hopefully bring them flat.

The problem, as I see it, is that it adds a pound or more to my luggage.

300 bar capability may well be a good reason for going DIN, provided you can get good 300 bar fills.

This thread is about North America, per the title. 300 bar tanks and fills are generally unavailable here because of USDOT regulations.

Around here, no-one uses yoke. Everbody is DIN. To the chagrin of those who try to get rid of old gear that's been sitting in the basement for some years, since that gear more often than not is yoke.

In Europe, the availability of 300 bar tanks is what has driven adoption of DIN valves and regulators.

DIN often seems to be proposed as a fine solution for problems most rec. divers don't have much of (e.g.: less likely to be knocked loose if struck, capable of higher pressure connections). I dive yoke and my personal tank is a 130 cf HP steel tank; the reg. seems to handle up close to 3,400 PSI fine. I don't do cave diving.

Is knocking a yoke connection loose during a swim through on a coral reef dive, for example, at all common?

I don't know how prevalent it is. One of the drawbacks of the yoke "standard" is that there is wide variation in valves and regulators. The depth of the indentation where the clamp bolt seats is one thing that seems to vary, and it would affect the amount of force necessary to displace the regulator.

Is anyone aware of people getting tanks filled to pressures yoke reg.s can't handle, for standard recreational diving?

Many regulators are stamped with a maximum pressure on the yoke. I have some marked 4000 PSI although 3500 PSI is perhaps more common. Since USDOT regulations limit fills to 3442 PSI, the capabilities of the yoke assembly aren't limiting here for most newer regulators.

For a U.S. & Caribbean diver remaining in recreational limits, considering that diving DIN with a DIN-to-Yoke adapter seems to offer no evident advantage over Yoke, is there any significant practical advantage?

Again, you only get any benefits of a DIN regulator when you use it with a DIN tank. The adapter gives you the worst of DIN and yoke, since it has both connections, and adds its own problems with length and weight.

If the yolk is tightened down correctly then it's next to impossible to knock it loose when pressurized. You can't even come close to loosening it by hand either.

I too would be interested in any actual reports of regulators being knocked off the post during a dive.

I got back from Indonesia on Sunday. I dived with four different operators and was on boats with probably 30 other divers. DIN was everywhere. I did at least one dive where the guide was on a BP/W setup and was on a boat where two other divers (so four altogether) were on BPW/hog loop. This was all normal and unremarkable.

Right, well, DIN has widespread adoption outside North America.

I would go with a Yoke model 1st stage based on what you described above. This is what you will see most often diving in North America and the Caribbean. You do not have to mess with adapters or corroded plugs. If you remotely think that you might decide you want or need a DIN 1st stage AND you only want just one regulator you can pick a ScubaPro MK17, MK21 or MK25 1st stage. All these models can be converted from Yoke to DIN for around $100. If you like the idea of converting your 1st stage or having the ability to convert your 1st stage, buy the Scuba Pro in DIN first. It is cheaper to convert from DIN to Yoke than vise versa. I mentioned Scuba Pro Regs, because these I am familiar with their conversions. I am sure other manufactures allow their 1st stages to be converted too.

HOG has conversion parts to convert the D1 and D3 to yoke, around $40. Aqua Lung has conversions for the Titan to convert from yoke to DIN, around $65 street.

Every DIN 1st I've ever seen has the 300 bar threads. And they fit both 300 bar and 200/232 bar valves.

IME 300 bar valves are very much standard. On tanks rated for 300 bar. But never on tanks with lower pressure rating, for rather obvious reasons. Those tanks have the "old" 5-thread DIN valve rated to 232 bar.

The situation in the USA is different. When DIN valves were introduced here, they were all 300 bar and were installed on 3500 PSI (241 bar) tanks. Nearly all new DIN valves sold now are the 232 bar valves that will accept a yoke conversion slug, and these are used on cylinders rated up to 3442 PSI (237 bar). Practically all the fill stations here are set up for yoke, and have an adapter available to use for DIN. A little off topic, I've started bringing my DIN fill adapter with me when I get fills, because most fill stations only have one, and appreciate being able to fill more than one cylinder at a time if I bring them several.

It's Yoke not yolk peeps!

The universal availability of the yoke system for O/W diving in the western hemisphere and Asia vs. DIN system in Europe should pretty much settle the debate on which regulator to purchase for your locale. Specialty diving such as tech and overhead environments may call for DIN over yoke in the Americas or Asia, but it really shouldn't be a first choice for a noob from those regions. I agree with most of the assessments concerning the pros and cons of each system. No system is perfect or right for all occasions/situations. From my own dive locker I own two DIN system regulators and forty-two yoke system regulators. All of my diving is O/W, and the DIN regulators are European, manufactured for that market. They are basically curios in the Caribbean and American dive sites.

What would make me go DIN? Taking up a specialty like cave diving, or moving to Europe. Short of that, I'll keep my yokes, thank you.

I assumed yolk was an attempt at humor.

Back
Top Bottom