Has anyone ever failed a GUE class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubles and Drysuit primers are alive and well. I took both just a few months ago. I don't recall anything being said about "pass," "fail" or any other official status. For what purpose could such a status be used?

"GUE Primer" is no longer offered, since it was superseded by Fundamentals Part 1.

A provisional status is basically just a pause to go home, practice, study then come back for your final check off. The problem arises if the student feels a failure and does not work to integrate skills and challenge the provisional.

The recently introduced option of Fundies Part 1 & Part 2 allows divers to take Part 1 first, which focuses on building a stable platform and refining kicks. Later they can task load with more complex skills in Part 2. These are scheduled as two separate classes, so there is plenty of time to work on stability between them. This slower pace affords divers more time to absorb skills, if needed. It's a good option for those who want or need more time to integrate new skills.

Part 1 & 2 also allow it to be run on just weekends, which also happens.

It's interesting that there are many more fundies 1 on the schedule than fundies 2.

Part 1 can be a stand-alone class for recreational divers who want to achieve our trim/buoyancy/kicks and stability but do not want to take a full Funamentals class.. It's a great way to sample GUE training without committing to the entire class. Later, divers can choose to take Part II or not.

Both full Fundamentals classes and Part I & 2 Fundamentals can be run over split weekends. It just depends on the instructor and their schedule.

I just wasn't aware of anyone who actually failed post-fundies classes who had to retake the entire class, vs redoing (or doing) the experience dives.

that's why i posted :) to make people aware

according to conversations i've had with instructors it happens more than you would think. there are people for whom six months of practice will not lead to a pass.

Ironic.

that's why i posted :) to make people aware

according to conversations i've had with instructors it happens more than you would think. there are people for whom six months of practice will not lead to a pass.

My fundies class: 1 tec, 1 rec, 1 fail
My C1 class: 2 pass, 1 provisional (the provisional guy did manage to pass in 6 months time)
My T1 class: 2 pass, 1 provisional (the provisional guy didn't pass within 6 months and is planning to redo (is now 3 years later)) . Off hand remark.. .he was already C2 when he took T1, so you could imagine the skills already up to par, but the blue water part was hard for him.
My C2 class: all passed
My T2 class: all passed

So yes you have the same grading system in fundies as in every following course, and yes as far as I can see in my group of GUE divers provisionals are given quite regularly, even on the technical courses.

Fundies I believe is the hardest course both for students and instructor, but I believe can also be the most rewarding. Hardest because the skills thought are normally very new, and the baseline of the different students can be very different. I haven't seen many people fail or provisional C2 or T2... although now that I'm thinking about it 2 of our local group did provisional T2 last year.

A friend of mine failed to get his T2 - I don't know if he got a provisional or not. He says he really didn't like virtual overheads, and so decided deep open water diving was not for him.

I've signed up for Fundies in September in the UK. I'm not very good, so I may well have further feedback after the course!

A friend of mine failed to get his T2 - I don't know if he got a provisional or not. He says he really didn't like virtual overheads, and so decided deep open water diving was not for him.

I've signed up for Fundies in September in the UK. I'm not very good, so I may well have further feedback after the course!
Who are you doing fundies with? Not that you can go wrong with any of the U.K. Instructors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom