Has anyone ever failed a GUE class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By "failed," you mean not even a "provisional pass"? My understanding is that if the instructor does not believe you satisfied the requirements for a pass, you receive a "provisional pass," entitling you to remedy the situation within some amount of time.

if the instructor does not believe you satisfied the requirements for a pass, you receive a "provisional pass"
I thought this was a Fundies-specific deal, no? Isn't everything else pass/fail?

Failed in GUE terms means completely unsafe to dive with--which is a standard one really has to work towards. I am sure if you look around you might be able to find a case or two, but they are extremely rare. Provision is the word for 'fail' for our 21st century snowflake ears.

I am sure there will people on this site that will argue a provision really just means you need to improve on XYZ and it really isn't a hard "fail".

Pass/Fail is binary. If you didn't pass, then by default you failed.

If you are asking do people "fail" Tech 1 or a Cave class...yes, lots of times. I would assume that the same provisional rules that dictate Fundies would apply to the tech certs as well, but that might be instructor dependent. You might have to take the whole class over, or your instructor might only have you do a day or two.

Pass/Fail is binary. If you didn't pass, then by default you failed
You might have to take the whole class over, or your instructor might only have you do a day or two

Yeah, to me this is exactly the difference. Hard pass/fail means if you didn't pass you retake the class. Soft pass/fail may mean a couple of check out dives to demonstrate improvement of specific skills.

Four out of six literally failed my first fundies class, we were told there was no way we could get our skills where they needed to be in six months to get a rec pass. The other two got provisionals. (As a side note, I had a tech pass within six months and Tech 1 within a year :wink: )

Four out of six literally failed my first fundies class, we were told there was no way we could get our skills where they needed to be in six months to get a rec pass. The other two got provisionals. (As a side note, I had a tech pass within six months and Tech 1 within a year :wink:)

So 0/6?? That's brutal!..

Edited to add: I believe different instructors have definitions for failure, I do not believe all of them define failure as unsafe to dive with, but I could be mistaken.

Edited to add: I believe different instructors have definitions for failure, I do not believe all of them define failure as unsafe to dive with, but I could be mistaken.

When did you take Fundies and with whom?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom