Has anyone ever failed a GUE class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my c1, one student wasnt allowed to complete the class. He just wasn't ready. In t1, we had a big class with 2 instructors. 2/5 completed the course.
Thank you. This is exactly what I wanted to know.

Lynne Flaherty was quite open about the fact that she did not pass Cave 2 and was told she would have to repeat the class--which is quite an expensive operation. After that, she got certified through NACD instead. It always bothered her, and just before she passed she set out to get that certification.

It was a unique situation. I'm not going to the work for you, someone else might though... There was a very long thread on that class not long after it happened. :wink:.

What I will say, however, is that after that class I took a drysuit class from a different GUE instructor in N FL and got exactly what I had hoped for from fundies in that two-day class.

Currently diving Meg and SF2 CCRs, no one can accuse me of being a diehard koolaid fanatic, but the vast majority of the core tenants I hold on to. I am very grateful for *all* of my GUE experiences, albeit for very different reasons.

So 0/6?? That's brutal!..

Actually it's not binary in GUE:
From Fundies, there are at least four outcomes:
  • Tech pass- you can take higher level classes
  • Rec pass- you can upgrade to a Tec pass at any time in the future, if you want to move on to higher level classes
  • Provisional- you can upgrade to a rec or Tec pass *within the next six months* else you have to retake the class (different instructors handle the upgrade process differently)
  • Fail-you *have* to retake the class
At least that is my understanding - something may have changed in the recent past, but those were all four "levels" I went through!

(Cave 2/Tech 2 now, btw, just had a very rough start unlearning 10+ years of bad habits!)

Failed in GUE terms means completely unsafe to dive with--which is a standard one really has to work towards. I am sure if you look around you might be able to find a case or two, but they are extremely rare. Provision is the word for 'fail' for our 21st century snowflake ears.

I am sure there will people on this site that will argue a provision really just means you need to improve on XYZ and it really isn't a hard "fail".

Pass/Fail is binary. If you didn't pass, then by default you failed.

If you are asking do people "fail" Tech 1 or a Cave class...yes, lots of times. I would assume that the same provisional rules that dictate Fundies would apply to the tech certs as well, but that might be instructor dependent. You might have to take the whole class over, or your instructor might only have you do a day or two.

I already said I wasn't going to do the work for you!!! :wink:

Edit - I see that post came out after your question... See my post a couple of posts down from yours :)

When did you take Fundies and with whom?

Actually it's not binary in GUE:
From Fundies, there are at least four outcomes:
  • Tech pass- you can take higher level classes
  • Rec pass- you can upgrade to a Tec pass at any time in the future, if you want to move on to higher level classes
  • Provisional- you can upgrade to a rec or Tec pass *within the next six months* else you have to retake the class (different instructors handle the upgrade process differently)
  • Fail-you *have* to retake the class
At least that is my understanding - something may have changed in the recent past, but those were all four "levels" I went through!

(Cave 2/Tech 2 now, btw, just had a very rough start unlearning 10+ years of bad habits!)

Yes those are still the 4 levels. You misunderstood my point, provision means you failed. GUE can do whatever they want in terms of different levels and conditions, but only two of those levels have the word "pass" in them.

I have the link to your class reports. If anyone wants them....

GUE Drysuit Diver class report (Doug Mudry March 2011)

DIR Class Reports - A Consolidated Inventory?

Neither of those links discusses the class of six. Although you have made me think that maybe we should include it, in the inventory, just for the sake of comparison. (Not really <g>)

Anyhoo, when you find it, remember, there are multiple versions to any story. Two things I will say 1)the in-water time reported was accurate and 2)I didn't get *mad* about the class until the instructor started posting in that thread and saying some of the things that he did. I felt it was unprofessional, especially when only two of the students were active in the thread.

This is one of the days I miss TS&M. She and Peter were there for that class and if it weren't for her and one of my classmates, I'm not sure I'd have continued on with GUE. In the end it was worth it, and I do not regret a thing - what happened in that class was incredibly motivating. Everything that followed that class started out about proving someone else wrong, but evolved into me pushing myself the next level.

I thought this was a Fundies-specific deal, no? Isn't everything else pass/fail?

My ignorance--being a mere Fundies-level diver--is showing. So it is true that the "Provisional Pass" outcome is limited to Fundies, and in all other courses there are only two outcomes: Pass or Fail? If a student does not pass, for example, Cave 1, then he is required to again pay for and re-take the entire 5-day course? There is no option to spend a couple of days with the instructor to attempt to remedy the deficiencies (as there was for me after my first attempt at Fundies)?

no you can provisional other classes. i believe lynne got a very strict provisional in her cave class with david and he didnt outright fail her. but what he did say was she couldn't run off to mexico to complete it
people have failed gue classes from fundies all the way up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom