Scuba In The Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernMelody:
...I wouldn't mind doing the Rothesay again if you remember where it is...lol. I was playing follow the leader and the location didn't stay in my memory...sigh.

:) Prescott

So does anyone know what time the actual 'event' starts and where to get tickets? I went to the website, and it's not very helpful. Some friends and I are thinking of attending but we're confused as to when it all starts. And about those $10 dives on the Lillie; someone told me they're not so good because the boat just drops you off -- is that right? This would be my first dive on the Lillie, so I'm a bit concerned. And about St. Lawrence Park: I've never been there. Is there ample parking there, and is it free? Any helpful comments would be appreciated. Thanks

well the boat just drops you off anyway.. either on the island or slightly upstream from the wreck
and then some other boat picks you up.
the $10 buys you a boat ride to the island, period. no dive masters or guides or anything (or it didnt last year anyway)
as far as I know the shuttles start at noon.

this gives people plenty of time to check out the merchandise and spend a fortune at the booths, or in my case do some diving in the morning for a good cause (project aware underwater cleanup)

The Project Aware cleanup registration starts at 9 I've been told. Yes Charters run from noon or so. Don't worry too badly about the Lillie as long as you have no 'issues' with current - in fact if you need a buddy who's done the dive before, post to the board here as a lot of us have and chances are we'd be happy to fill you in or even dive with you (even as 2 buddy pairs possibly)

Parking at the park site itself is extremely limited so plan on parking across the road at the (ample) parking lot of an abandoned factory.

The charter to the Lilly Parsons will drop you off on Sparrow Island at the boat dock and then you need to hike across the Island (not that far really), climb in (can be challenging because the rocks are large) the current is VERY swift in the shallows so once you enter the water get negative and grab rocks. You follow the anchor over the wall and follow it down to the wreck.
NOTE: The current has been quite fast since they lowered the water level. Also, for exiting the dive you need to stay between 40' - 20' to see the ropes that have been attached to the wall. If you miss the ropes then you may drift past your exit and I know last year their were a few divers that needed some help. Thankfully, the organizers have this well planned and there will be safety divers helping out as well as SeaDo's to chase and help out divers that miss their exit point.
The Lilly Parsons is a very enjoyable dive but definitely you need to be prepared for current.
Once the dive is over, if you still have lots of gas you can hike back across the Island and do it again :)

Scuba in the Park is a really wonderful event. I went last year and had a great time. I won an amazing door prize - valued at around $600. worth of dive gear.
Rumour has it that one of the prizes includes an OMS oxygen analyzer - something I'm in the market for so I'm keeping my fins crossed. If someone wins it and wants to sell it after, let me know!

Last year, I think, just about everyone that attended walked away with some token of the event. They handed out all kinds of free gifts (T-shirts, key chains, drink coolers).

Parking is definitley an issue if your planning on diving. Usually, people drive through the park, down to the dock and leave their gear there, then drive back up and park across the road in the huge parking lot. If you want to do that, I'd plan to get there early as it's a small park.

I'll see ya'll there :)
Barb

Thanks for all your answers/tips on SITP. I'm bringing all my dive gear just in case I decide to do the Lillie that day. Those prizes sound pretty nice; any free dive gear would be great right now as I just spent a fortune on mine! And an O2 analyzer; just what I need. Sounds like it'll be a fun day.

Hey all

We apologize for a weak webpage.... just no time.

I have posted a new thread on here with official answers to some of your questions.

Have a look ask some more - I will check again tonight.

Scuba in the Park - Chair & Founder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom