Software Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since Marg still hasn't put my post back up, I'll paraphrase it:

I share Boulderjohns concerns in the first post.

Therefore I've been GUE's Decoplanner on Windows. It's old school but very solid. It has both ZHL and VPM models and you can easily toggle between them. It is expensive at something like $149. It would be great if they'd make versions for IOS and Android and include them in the price. Then it would be worth spending that kind of $ for non-GUE divers.

On my iPhone I've been using Baltic. The profiles it generates at the same GF settings have been the same or within 1 minute of Decoplanner. We routinely use it to plan dives on the boat. It handles multi level and multiple dives a day nicely. The iOS app cost something like $15 or $20. Im fairly certain they have a android version. It is so solid that I only fire up Decoplanner when required to do so for a GUE technical class.

No relation whatsoever to Baltic, just a cash paying customer.

I nicely asked, explained why, and had 2 of my 3 deleted posted put back up. Who says the mods are inflexible? I'm actually encouraged. Sometimes they face a hard job keeping us in line with the TOS

This refers to a older version of PastoDeco wich was fixed.
In older version, when there was a gas switch between bottom and 1st deco stop, gas swap depth was shown in meters instead of feet.
( It is obvious that if you have a gas switch at shallower depth than 1st deco stop this is a depth conversion issue ).
Deco schedule is correct and not affected by incorrect shown depth. It was just a "display" bug.
I wasn't referring to PastoDeco. Obviously I dare not mention the culprit or I'll be disappeared again.

Obviously I dare not mention the culprit or I'll be disappeared again.
Don't be silly.

(not posting as a mod)

I really like Baltic deco planner for the iPhone. I haven't tested the multi-level stuff extensively. Baltic has a separate gas blender for the iPhone as well. Great interface IMO.

I recently upgraded form v4.11 to v4.12, I don't know what the changes were.

Likely the change was to correct the problem pointed out here.

Anyone have any experience with TruDive? It looks like a new offering.

The video that Peter Sotis did for TruDive makes it looks good for CCR planning but I don't know if it even does OC planning. It sort of works backwards from your available gas supply, not the other way around, if I understand it right.

The problem I have is that there's no demo to play with. It could be a clunky piece of junk, or not even work at all for your type of diving, but you won't find out until you're 80 bucks out of pocket.

The video that Peter Sotis did for TruDive makes it looks good for CCR planning but I don't know if it even does OC planning. It sort of works backwards from your available gas supply, not the other way around, if I understand it right..

I have wished for a tool for OC planning that worked like that. I would really like to be able to choose a depth and gases and gas volume and then have the software just tell me how long I can stay down and then get out with whatever reserve I choose. Much easier than doing a binary search on the bottom time to find the gas consumption #s I'm looking for.

But I definitely am not shelling out $80 just to try anything. Especially now that I found how quick and easy it is to plan in Subsurface and try different bottom time #s to find the consumption #s I want.

I used V-Planner for my desktop dive planning for a number of years, and then discussions on Rebreather World and ScubaBoard led me to decide I wanted to use ZHL-16 with gradient factors. I started using Shearwater computers, which use that algorithm. I asked Shearwater for suggestions for such a program, and they suggested a free one from New Zealand, IIRC--I can't remember the name. I tried it out but did not like it, mostly because it lacked the ability to do multi-level dive planing. That is also true of the Shearwater planning--you can't multi-level the plan.

I eventually settled on Multi-deco, which has some good extra features, like gas mixing, and which does indeed allow for multi-level planning. Recent ScubaBoard discussions and recent private discussions have led me to question that decision. I now have my doubts about the algorithm as it is run in that program.

Does anyone know of a good alternative?
Take a look at Ultimate Planner.

One of the beautiful things about a diverse group of people coming together, is that moderators are also diverse. We work hard to moderate as little as possible, to keep the Board friendly for everyone.

Unfortunately it's just not possible to always just remove one or two words, but the vast majority of users never see a single post deleted. And when they are, they are very rarely "reinstated." Generally, it's easier to just re-read your post to make sure it's friendly before you post it, than to argue with moderators about the appropriateness--easier for everyone.

I have to say C Dub, I appreciated your "version 2" which was informative and helpful!

I for one use iDecoPro but have been thinking about trying Baltic. I also like the concept of the GUE program, and compare to most scuba gear it's relatively cheap, but $150 is still a lot of money when other programs are the price of a lunch. For most of the typical weekend cave diving trips, working with 2-3 stages and a scooter, the dive profiles can be remarkably similar even if you dive in different tunnels. Of course, there are plenty of people that need a much stronger, and more flexible program, all the time...but not all of us are that lucky. If I'm planning a big team dive, I'm probably comparing my plan with theirs to make sure they align, and if one of them has fancier software, I don't mind using theirs to plan the dive even if I typically use iDecoPro.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom