Place to stay in town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prilosec helps with the heart burn. I grew up on the border and have never really had a case of montezumas revenge, even from the border towns of West Texas. (Viva Acuna!!!) Tums help with the heartburn too. We used to do the chewable pepto thing as well, colorful side effects and all.

The heartburn is one thing, but a huge breakfast just slows me down these days, so I usually just have coffee, fruit, coffee, and a light breakfast of maybe an egg with red chili, coffee, and a single light pass down the buffet, and coffee. Sometimes I will have a little coffee as well. The food is just too good to pass up, especially the pork. Maria (I think that is her name) usually throws two flour tortillas on the grill for me when she sees us come down.

Were back in April...can't wait.

Safe travels,
Jay

We like the Hotel Cozumel, it generally hits my sweet spot. It's not super expensive, but is comfy and feels like a nice (nice enough) resort. The huge swimming pool helps with that. I like how it's within easy walking distance of town, but not really in town. The breakfast spread is OK. I've stayed at this place a half dozen trips across 25 years, every time I go back it's got a different name. Most recent trip we stayed there for half of our nights, then switched to the Intercontinental El Prez for the second half of our trip (we used points for those very spendy rooms - very nice place but hoo-boy, serious money).

Regarding Turneffe - we had a great time at Turneff Island Resort, but I think the diving at Cozumel is better. Out at Turneffe, you certainly get the private island vibe, you never see another boat at the dive sites (except the blue hole trip, which is kind of a zoo anyway). We loved having hot chocolate brought to our room to wake up every day...TIR is basically like a live-aboard that doesn't move. 4 dives a day and just veg out otherwise. It's certainly nice, but spendy. Lionfish at Turneff are completely out of sontrol - not enough divers to kill them all. OTOH, we only saw a few lionfish on Coz, they are obviously well hunted there - that's one upside/downside to each place's relative popularity/accessibility. We will go back to Coz more often, but would be happy to do TIR once in a while for a splurge.

One must have for us whenever we go on a dive vacation is the biggest pack of pink pepto pills (or 2 packs) we can buy. I eat two at night before bed and two in the AM before breakfast. Also a box of Prilosec or generic equivalent keeps the acid at bay after stuffing myself with every hot sauce and local non-gringo pico I can find. With that double barrel approach I've no problem stuffing my face at the Casa's breakfast buffet daily before diving. I will say one thing though, I've read that taking an acid inhibitor such as Prilosec can increase your chances of catching an intestinal bug from food as it does reduce stomach acid which kills a significant # of the bugs you may consume eating so perhaps a couple of Tums with breakfast is a better way to go. Maybe give that plan a try and see what works for you... If you have acid reflux issues when diving after eating a big breakfast this may remedy it.
I guess I've been to Coz a dozen or so times and never had an intestinal infection. Power-of-expectations being what they are, I guess if you expect to get one, you may think you did. I am vaccinated for Hep-A as you can be exposed to that in the states too, and I only drink bottled water, but no problems.

I do take an antacid before diving as so much time horizontal or leaning down for the shot, and maybe pressure changes, can bring on some acid reflux - but that's a long time condition for me.

Back
Top Bottom