Place to stay in town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staggsSevin

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decide on coming back to Cozumel (haven't been since 2013) or give belize a shot (turneffe atoll area).

What would be a good place to stay in town that would offer breakfast as well? We would want to able to walk to different restaurants for dinner. Originally I was going to look into the Aldora Villa but it's a bit more of a hike than if we just stayed somewhere in town.

Thanks!

Depending on your budget I would recommend Suites Bahia, Suites Colonial, or Casa Mexicana. These three properties have the same owner, are centrally located and include same breakfast buffet. For all three locations you have breakfast at Casa Mexicana. Arguably one of the best breakfast buffets on island. Full omelette/egg station, waffles, pancakes, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, cereal, fresh juice, etc.

My preference is usually always Suites Bahia which is downtown on waterfront (on Av Raefel Melgar / Malecón) across street from Municipal Pier (Aldora Pier) which many dive operators will use. It's cheap and clean with great staff and a perfect location for walking to downtown restaurants. Most rooms have small kitchenettes and you can also get rooms with balcony for drying wetsuits and such. I've been staying there for 13-14 years off and on; Hard to go wrong with staying here.

Suites Colonial (on 5a Avenida Sur) is their sister hotel it's still in a great location but it's just not on the water. It's essentially one block back and one street over from Suites Bahia. Rooms are slightly larger with kitchenettes and living room space. Includes same breakfast and is occasionally slightly cheaper.

Lately prices for Suites Bahia/Suites Colonial seem to around same price. Typically around $40-$70/night. They are usually within about $5 of each other. In dead of low season you can sometimes get room under $40/night.

Lastly, Casa Mexicana is "upscale" version of Suites Bahia/Suites Colonial. Updated rooms, nicer bedding/sheets, more comfortable beds, that sort of thing. If I want to spurge or the price is cheap enough I'll stay here. Rates are around $70-$140/night with slightly cheaper prices in off season. ~$60/night is possible in August.

Hotel Mary Carmen also another good cheap option but their breakfast is limited, mainly coffee, cereal and toast. Rooms are around $30-35/night.

Last edited:
You might look into Mi Casa en Cozumel. It is more of a B&B on 5th near the cemetery. I know a few divers who have stayed there and liked it. There's another B&B on 10th called Villa Escondida and I have dived with several people who have stayed there and all seemed to like it. Owner is from my home town and went to school with one of my brothers! Small world, eh?

There's another B&B on 10th called Villa Escondida
To the op. We stayed there last summer and returning this Feb. Magda makes the most wonderful Mexican style breakfast. Unfortunately with morning dives we get an abbreviated version but it's still excellent with fresh bakery items, fresh sliced fruit, yogurt and granola... The garden is lovely and very private with a small but nice pool. There are only four units so we often had it to ourselves. Great location too.

Downside for some is no in-room tv and limited in-room seating. Pm if you want more info.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Sounds like I was on the right track with Casa Mexicana. If I end up back in Cozumel this spring I will probably just book there as it's within my budget for the room. I had considering Blue Angel Resort as well and switching up my dive op but I think it would be about the same issue as staying at the aldora villa.

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decide on coming back to Cozumel (haven't been since 2013) or give belize a shot (turneffe atoll area).

Having been to both, if someone hasn't been to Turneffe and you've got the opportunity to go there, I'd say don't miss the opportunity. Cozumel is nice but it's not Turneffe. Diving The Elbow dive site alone is so worth it. Would love to go back, but dang it is expensive.

Having been to both, if someone hasn't been to Turneffe and you've got the opportunity to go there, I'd say don't miss the opportunity. Cozumel is nice but it's not Turneffe. Diving The Elbow dive site alone is so worth it. Would love to go back, but dang it is expensive.

I've never been diving in Belize yet, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at Turneffe (I'm not to interested in AC). The cost is quite a bit higher than any cozumel trip I could plan for sure, at least the flights are under $400/ea there...about the only thing that is cheap.

I've got a couple weeks to decide before I book since I'm looking at going around April/May. Decisions....Decisions.

Suites Colonial (on 5a Avenida Sur) is their sister hotel it's still in a great location but it's just not on the water. It's essentially one block back and one street over from Suites Bahia. Rooms are slightly larger with kitchenettes and living room space. Includes same breakfast and is occasionally slightly cheaper.
I've stayed there a couple trips, liked it, but my rooms did not have a kitchenette. I think they have some, but mine did not. Only the end room on the second floor has a balcony. I didn't go to the third to look around.

I own the Villa Aldora and I vote for Suites Bahia.

Thanks guys,

Sounds like I was on the right track with Casa Mexicana. If I end up back in Cozumel this spring I will probably just book there as it's within my budget for the room. I had considering Blue Angel Resort as well and switching up my dive op but I think it would be about the same issue as staying at the aldora villa.
Casa Mexicana certainly looks nice from my visits to breakfast there and many here enjoy it. It certainly offers much more than their two cheaper properties. All rooms have balconies, they have a sun deck, etc.

Blue Angel is very nice. I used to stay there before the improvements and associated rate increases, and I am sure it's even nicer now altho I hated that they cemented over the marble animals in the floors. Maybe they'll chip those out someday. It is not walking distance to much else to me tho. If I want a hiking vacation, I got to a national park and camp for $7/night.

I've stayed there a couple trips, liked it, but my rooms did not have a kitchenette. I think they have some, but mine did not. Only the end room on the second floor has a balcony. I didn't go to the third to look around.
I usually book thru Hotels.com to get the reward points, actually a slightly cheaper rate, and more recourse. For last trip I was promised a kitchenette, didn't get it, but got a nice refund discount. I see that Hotels.com and Casa Mexicana's site for Colonial have been updated, both with corrections. Studio rooms do not have kitchenettes but suites do, and cost more. I saw one claim that it's a block from Casa Mexicana & buffet, but it's actually 3½ blocks. There is still some info showing coffee makers included, but that's not true of the Studios - available in the lobby. I usually take supplies, buy a cheap maker at Mega, and give it to someone when I leave - every trip.

Warning: They claim to have 2 beds in every room, either a double and a single or two doubles, but my rooms only had 1 king bed - possibly because I book as a solo traveler, and that was fine. Had I been traveling with my home dive bud, it would have been a major problem - one we almost had once in Hobox.

I own the Villa Aldora and I vote for Suites Bahia.
Why is that? Casa Mexicana is within his budget, certainly nicer, and with a lot of convenience. I am thinking about going with Bahai next time to get a guaranteed balcony for a lot less than Casa Mex, but I do like Colonial being a block from front street and so quiet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom