Place to stay in town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never been diving in Belize yet, which is one of the reasons I'm looking at Turneffe (I'm not to interested in AC). The cost is quite a bit higher than any cozumel trip I could plan for sure, at least the flights are under $400/ea there...about the only thing that is cheap.

I've got a couple weeks to decide before I book since I'm looking at going around April/May. Decisions....Decisions.

$400 flights are relatively cheap compared to what it's cost me in the past, typically I've paid in the $600-$700 range. Turneffe is always a little harder logistically with flights because for places like Turneffe Island Resort they only pick up and take you back to the mainland on certain set days of the week which can limit your flights unless you want to come in earlier and leave later but that basically puts you in belize city for multiple days which is not a place I nor few other people seem to ever want to spend any more time in than you have to due to the crime issues. That's one of the things that did make it more expensive for us to go, but one time even with the more expensive flights the stars were aligned with flights and days that coordinated with TIR and we were never sorry for going, multiple dives at the elbow, the blue hole (not really a great dive in my opinion, but a check it off dive for many), the light house reef dives (outstanding) that you go on with the blue hole diving, and the fact you're already more than half way to the blue hole when you are out at Turneffe which turns what is some times a nightmare boat ride of 4 hours into an easy one... Yep decisions... decisions...

Last edited:
Hotel Plaza Cozumel is a block north of the Ferry Pier. A good stretch of the legs to the Aldora Pier (about 4 blocks) after a hearty breakfast. Impeccably clean and usually $50 US or less per night. Pool area on the roof is nice. My favorite for several years.

When I have looked at pricing the balcony rooms at Bahia were more than the inside rooms at Casa which all have balconies.

My one diving trip to Belize I stayed on AC. The wind was bad for a few days and dive boats would not go out to the local reefs. I did a 3 tank day trip to Turneffe, I think it was around $220. We left around 7 am and got back after 5. I wish I had more experience and had better air consumption at the time. It was a fairly inexpensive way to see the area though. There are hotels in AC in the $65 range but they are not close to what you get in Cozumel.

When I have looked at pricing the balcony rooms at Bahia were more than the inside rooms at Casa which all have balconies.
I am sure that results will vary, but for a week I am considering in June - I find Bahai balcony rooms for $51/night non-refundable or $57 with no penalty for canceling. Casa Mexicana starts at $72/80. For ocean view, I see $85/$95 at Bahia and $86/$95 at Csa Mexicana - so about the same, but Casa Mexicana looks nicer, while Bahia includes kichenettes.

I think Casa Mexicana would fit the bill the best since my wife would probably like that it looks nicer :) I don't need the kitchenettes because we would eat the breakfast buffett.....do dives with Aldora (eat at the beach club if they are still doing that between dives) then eat dinner out somewhere.....rinse and repeat.

I think Casa Mexicana would fit the bill the best since my wife would probably like that it looks nicer
I think so. If I had a wife, I'd play it safe and go there. Compare rates for your dates at their iwb site vs Hotels.com vs packaged trips with air & hotel combined. The combo trips can be a good savings.

Casa Mexicana is a good choice. Rooms are impeccably clean and you can just go downstairs for breakfast vs having to walk over.

My tip especially if you're diving with Aldora is to get to breakfast early, slightly before they open. Since Aldora leaves pier at ~7:30am and breakfast essentially opens at 7:00am you don't have a lot of time to eat. I like to try to leave Casa Mexicana BY 7:15am (7:20am latest). It's literally less than a 5 minute walk to pier but give yourself a little extra.

pier from Casa Mexicana.jpg

I get to breakfast around 6:45am but a lot of times they don't always have everything out (varies day by day). Usually there is coffee, juice, cereal and they just start bringing buffet stuff out. The timing almost always works out I just hate being last one they are waiting on dock.

+1 for Casa Mexicana, it's our home away from home. Booked it for $80 a night including taxes last month for April 16-21. Nice rooms, OCD level of clean, comfortable beds. Lots of beds in Mexico seem to be hard as our dining room table. The breakfast buffet seals the deal though. Just wish I could eat like I want to before diving.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

We've been staying at the Casa Mexicana forever (almost since it was built)... Can't beat it. The Colonial and Suites Bahia are sister hotels of the Casa (same owner Pepe who I believe also owns Palmeras and Pepe's Grill restaurants). The sister hotels can save a few bucks and you still get the breakfast buffet served at the Casa included but you do have about a 5-10 min walk to the Casa for the breakfast and for us it is just so much easier to take the elevator down to breakfast. Hanging out on our balcony or on the Casa's pool deck in the afternoons watching the world go by with some Sol frio con limon in a bucket of ice and snack food from the Mega is also quite enjoyable.

The breakfast buffet seals the deal though. Just wish I could eat like I want to before diving.

One must have for us whenever we go on a dive vacation is the biggest pack of pink pepto pills (or 2 packs) we can buy. I eat two at night before bed and two in the AM before breakfast. Also a box of Prilosec or generic equivalent keeps the acid at bay after stuffing myself with every hot sauce and local non-gringo pico I can find. With that double barrel approach I've no problem stuffing my face at the Casa's breakfast buffet daily before diving. I will say one thing though, I've read that taking an acid inhibitor such as Prilosec can increase your chances of catching an intestinal bug from food as it does reduce stomach acid which kills a significant # of the bugs you may consume eating so perhaps a couple of Tums with breakfast is a better way to go. Maybe give that plan a try and see what works for you... If you have acid reflux issues when diving after eating a big breakfast this may remedy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom