Reasons people give for not wanting to scuba dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite response was that fish pee in the water, so we're diving in pee and that's gross.

Too many people just aren't that comfortable in the water, and absolutely have no comfort level if their face is underwater.. These are the breast stoke people that swim 50 laps without ever getting wet from the neck up.

Getting wet, possibly even sandy on occasion is apparently too dirty & gritty for some folks. They prefer golf, or no-sweating speed tennis.

People, planning for a vacation, walk into a dive store to inquire about getting certified to dive.

Some "Tech Diver" starts pitching long hoses, CCR's, drysuits, advanced training and trim.

The potential divers walk out.

They still go on their vacation, of course: instead of diving they Parasail or Jet ski.

I have to say the cost of diving is the only one that you actually can't argue with. A customer of mine was encouraged to check out diving after hearing about my experiences and seeing my pictures. She's several states from me and I got a recommendation for a good shop for her.

Turns out she truly couldn't afford it. It wasn't just the minimal equipment cost to get started (mask, snorkel, fins, booties). She couldn't swing the $500 for the OW class. When someone's on a tight budget, especially with having a big family to raise, there's sometime no way around it.

I see a lot of people who should not be diving than the non divers who should dive. It is not for everyone just like skiing is not for everyone or parasailing is not for everyone. Diving is expensive thing to do which takes time and money away from your family and other important things so I am totally fine with people not wanting to dive.

Just because we love it doesn't mean they will or want to or should.
This is in Humour so... Three silly reasons for not diving I have heard from people who were certified to dive but shouldn't have been...

I just had my hair done.
It will mess my makeup
The wetsuit makes my but look big!

I'll throw a twist and say the number one reason a person shouldn't start diving...."Because (name the relative) really wants me to dive with them"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom