Reasons people give for not wanting to scuba dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one I get the most is the fear of water and drowning.

Which actually leads to the weirdest reason someone gave me to learn how to scuba dive: my mother is terrified of drowning (even though she's a very good swimer and swims regularly) and decided that I must have suicidal tendencies for wanting to dive :facepalm:. So she told me "if you're going to die diving, then I'm going to learn too so that you won't die alone" :giggle:.

So now I'm looking into the best approach for her to learn how to scuba dive, while she solves a few remedial heal issues (sinus issues due to an accident) and waits for her doctor's clearance :D.

3 more

1- I can't do it because I can't clear my ears (which is BS most of the time)
2- The equipment is so heavy and bulky I couldn't manage it
3- The bounty answer: I hear this one ALL the time.

"I'm afraid of being scooped up by one of those planes or helicopters they use to grab water to fight fires and dropped in the middle of a raging inferno and burned to death in a tree".

My personal favorite is "I'm not giving Kevin Costner a chance to get me in his element."

I'm pretty sure he was joking. The one I've heard most recently is "I'm not strong enough/it's heavy."

3 more

1- I can't do it because I can't clear my ears (which is BS most of the time)
2- The equipment is so heavy and bulky I couldn't manage it
3- The bounty answer: I hear this one ALL the time.

"I'm afraid of being scooped up by one of those planes or helicopters they use to grab water to fight fires and dropped in the middle of a raging inferno and burned to death in a tree".

Oh I forgot about number 1 and it is the one I hear most!!!

When people mention claustrophobia (which is 90 percent of the time), I think they are generally referring to the idea of being "trapped" at depth because of fear of the bends. They have a general understanding that in diving you can go deep but you can't bolt to the surface if you have a problem.

When they mention problems with ear equalization, I find that they generally mean that they have felt pain when diving to the bottom of a deep pool (around 10 feet) without equalizing, and they think there is something wrong with them because they don't equalize "automatically." A number of people are quite insistent that they have a medically diagnosed inability to equalize, though they never tried to learn diving, and they can't explain what other reason they would have for having a doctor check out their inability to equalize.

Well, if you are hesitant about sharks and rays (raises hand!), there's always fresh water diving. Glad I've got the Great Lakes in my backyard! :D

<<I have also heard that it is too expensive.>> this is only because it is true. We laugh every time we drive by the local dive shop and see "Free Scuba lesson" sign out front. Tip of the iceberg.

I frequently encounter non-divers when I am entering or leaving the water. And then there's friends.

The questions and comments I get generally involve these lines of, um, reasoning:
- diving is just scary and dangerous
- how much does all that stuff weigh
- how much does all that stuff cost
- cold water is cold
- I don't like to put my head under water
- sharks and other bitey things

I have one woman in my circle of friends who is quite thoughtful about it and just doesn't want to have to trust mechanical things to provide air.

Funny thing is, no one worries about monofilament and boat motors except other divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom