Why are weights so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Much if not most of the USA is not using lead tire weights anymore. I sort through the ones we collect at my shop to save the lead ones. There are zinc ones that melt with the lead but are not as heavy and an awful lot of steel ones that just float on the surface of the melt pot.

[QUOTE=" You don't need mesh, you can use any heavy nylon or Cordura cloth from a remnant store, or a thrift store winter jacket. (Sleeves make good pouches, cut to length as needed.)[/QUOTE]

I use the material from an old BCD or leaky Thermarest type self inflating mattress and apply an old hot clothes iron to fuse the inner surfaces together. Just make sure to get most of the air out before giving it the final seal.

As was said before lead is expensive. have you priced out lead acid batteries lately?

You might be surprised.....and also get the best prices that way!
Surprisingly I found several listings for scuba gear, but nothing involving weights.

Surprisingly I found several listings for scuba gear, but nothing involving weights.
Worth the effort, though! Keep an eye out....

Same reason divorce is expensive...........................it's worth it
John

That's the golden question.
IO justg found a tip on the net to use what is refered to pet screening. Its heavy duty nylon type screen that can be sewn. I am gong to try to put shot from the 6# bags in pantyhose and them into pouched made of this screen. These 4,5,6 adn larger pouches of soft weight are otherwise no use to me.

Utility Fabric Pet Screening

this is what i got below

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-York-Wire-Pet-D-Fence-Pet-Screen-Polyester-36-x-48-4pc/17133583

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom