Why are weights so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am actually considering getting some mesh pouches and dumping shotgun shot into them, then stitching them up, since I have a good bit of old shells I can use.

What is the shot made of? I thought they had gone away from lead and use something else now. Weights will be in saltwater. Saltwater does fun stuff to some metals and metals near other metals.

Look on Craig's List for your area. I've gotten a lot of weights that way....usually at about $1/pound or less.

This. I get all my dive gear HEAVILY discounted by buying off Craigslist. People often just want to get rid of it and will let it go for a fraction of the price.

Thanks, I will check it out... but I'm landlocked so I don't have much hope

If you're buying dive weights, there's got to be some diving within driving distance, no?

What is the shot made of? I thought they had gone away from lead and use something else now. Weights will be in saltwater. Saltwater does fun stuff to some metals and metals near other metals.
Lead shot is still made from lead. Copper shot is made from copper, and steel from......

Lead shot is still made from lead. Copper shot is made from copper, and steel from......

Been a long time since I did any hunting but I recall a time, a number of years ago, when lead shot was being phased out for steel or some other type of shot. At least for waterfowl hunting.

But the alloy matters for a lot of metals.

Lead has been phased out for waterfowl. Lead is still widely used for other applications.
Been a long time since I did any hunting but I recall a time, a number of years ago, when lead shot was being phased out for steel or some other type of shot. At least for waterfowl hunting.

But the alloy matters for a lot of metals.

I am actually considering getting some mesh pouches and dumping shotgun shot into them, then stitching them up, since I have a good bit of old shells I can use.
That's what I did. My local shotgun range sells reclaimed shot for $1/lb. Pouches are about $3 each. So $8 for a 5 lb soft weight. $4 for a 1lb etc.. I think dive shops tend to charge like 4 or 5 bucks a pound!

My pouches are about 5 years old now and I've not had any problems. The double velcro has held just fine.

I used the XS Scuba pouches. I don't remember where I got them, google shows this site selling them for $3 each. That's about what I remember paying: Discount Sports Gear - XS Scuba U-Fill Soft Weight Pouches

I did have to buy a small scale. I don't remember what I paid, and it's become a part of my kitchen equipment for measuring food.

And really good gloves and safety glasses, and something to skim the dross and a ladle and you should study what happens if you dump some wet lead into your melting pot. I've poured well over 1000 lb of lead and if I needed only 60 lb I'd have probably just bought it. Pouring it is simple and fun and dangerous.
I've done this, and the Craig's List route is easier and possibly cheaper. However, IF you're into DIY stuff, then read a bit, take the appropriate safety precautions and go for it. I agree pouring lead is "simple and fun and dangerous".

Rotometals regularly runs sales on reclaimed shot - I think I paid $65 for 60# (shipping included. I only wish I could have seen the face of the UPS driver who put it on the porch.) The shot is a little dirty and a bit oxidized, but cleans up well when you melt it. It is very satisfying to see that shiny silver liquid pour into the molds (think "Terminator 2").

When I lived in Hawaii we collected all the weights that fisherman lost. you can put them in little cloth bags and they work great. That might be an option.

I've found most of my weight on the bottom. An over weighted Abalone (free) diver will drop a belt once they are in trouble, I just keep my eyes open.

Bob

Used to be that you could get scrap lead wheel balancing weights for free from any tire shop. Now, most sell it to recyclers but you can always ASK. The weights are lead with "iron" clips on them, the clips will float up and can be skimmed off if you are melting it down. Melting & casting lead is easy, a propane or map torch and a stainless saucepan are all you need--but you want to be upstream of the pot in a well ventilated area, lead fumes are not good.

Or you can even buy lead shot on Amazon if there's no hunting shop near you. Oddly enough, including shipping, well cheaper than "diving" shot bags. You don't need mesh, you can use any heavy nylon or Cordura cloth from a remnant store, or a thrift store winter jacket. (Sleeves make good pouches, cut to length as needed.)

Back
Top Bottom