7 missing divers - Jupiter - all found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

then again, expected when ops do shark feeding in the area
It's to be expected in Florida waters where there is hunting or fishing. They're just trying to school with their "chums". :D :D :D

Question, since it looks like a sunny day in the video--

How many of us still carry, and use, reflectors? This would seem like the most long-range way to get the attention of a boat or aircraft.

I too say good on the Republic VII captain for pulling the trigger on reporting to the authorities. But it does get you discussed for a day or two on Scubaboard and who knows where else.. no good deed goes un-socialmedia'd these days. But lots better than lost diver news because they delayed the notification.
Tom I would venture a guess to say that R7 was the pickup boat, not the dropoff boat. They were diving from Emerald, I believe.

If it was the Emerald, then they would've in all likelihood been doing a shark feed dive, and it's like the leader continued offering food and brought sharks up with them as they made their way up to safety stop depth, so wouldn't be unusual.

That does not mean big sharks are likely to circle dive groups from non-feed charters in the region. My point is, this doesn't go to show that sharks are randomly circling ascending dive groups in regions where shark feed dives are done.

Richard.

My point is, this doesn't go to show that sharks are randomly circling ascending dive groups in regions where shark feed dives are done.
I've been diving Florida waters for quite some time. Yes, I even predate the shark feeding dive ops by a few decades. Sharks have always been curious like this. I've been bumped on the surface twice back in the 70's and have been followed up from the bottom a number of times. It fell off dramatically when shark numbers were down, but they seem to be picking up a bit. However, if they had food with them as they ascended, then no wonder they were being followed. No aggression in the shark that I could see from the video.

Ken is being modest and gracious..
One of the man's many faults. :D :D :D @kensuf's smoother than cream cheese on a bagel when he's in a cave.

Jon Bernot (NSS-CDS, IANTD), Ted McCoy (NSS-CDS, IANTD), Meredith Tanguay (GUE), Dan Patterson (NSS-CDS, TDI), Jon and Lauren Kieran (TDI), and of course, Bill Oestreich (NSS-CDS, TDI, IANTD).
FWIW, these are also great instructors. When a great cave instructor recommends another instructor, they have to be good.

Last edited:
I do not dive in the ocean very often but when I do, I carry a mirror, a whistle, and a strong strobe. If I start diving in the ocean again much, I expect I'll do some research and pick out something like a Nautilus.

Question, since it looks like a sunny day in the video--

How many of us still carry, and use, reflectors? This would seem like the most long-range way to get the attention of a boat or aircraft.

I too say good on the Republic VII captain for pulling the trigger on reporting to the authorities. But it does get you discussed for a day or two on Scubaboard and who knows where else.. no good deed goes un-socialmedia'd these days. But lots better than lost diver news because they delayed the notification.

a big one

Two of the divers posted pics from their "extended drift" - they had a couple of ~5 ft silky sharks circling them, which is the most common species we see out on the Jupiter Deep Ledge at this time of year. They tend to be pretty inquisitive, although at that size they're not inclined to take potshots at something bigger than they are. Nobody was too concerned about having company while they waited for pickup - in the PBSO video you can see one photographer taking a selfie with the helo in the background.

Seems like it was kind of a rough day out there. One other charter was diving south of there in shallower water and the flag broke loose; the boat wound up following the flag until their divers popped up about a mile north of it. Another dive boat broke down and had to be towed into Jupiter Inlet.

This incident seems to be filled with decisions that helped "break the chain of events" that were unfolding.

I have dove at least 4 different charters in the Jupiter Area in the last 3 years. Everyone dropped in the water with a dive flag. Everyone required every diver to carry a SMB on their person. DM lead, with a 1 hour max dive time. If you ran out of air first, you surfaced and deployed your SMB.

I did a 3 dip shark dive with Emerald Charters this past November. My understanding most of their Charters are shark dives. The DM went to the bottom with his crate and chum. The crate had the Dive Flag attached to it, I just watched my video to verify this. It was a great experience and planned to take my daughter on the dive in the future.

Very interested to see hear what the real story was on this as I enjoyed their operation.

I do not dive in the ocean very often but when I do, I carry a mirror, a whistle, and a strong strobe. If I start diving in the ocean again much, I expect I'll do some research and pick out something like a Nautilus.

During my dive brief with Emerald Charters, we where told NO shiny objects. I shave my head and use an all white Dive Computer. Both my head and the band of my computer had to be covered for safety reasons. While you mostly see, Nurse, Bulls and Silky's, though Hammerheads and Tigers are in the area. We were going to dive on the Tigers, but visibility was low and changed out drop point. The Tigers and Hammers, dive briefing stated you need to be very safe around and shiny objects are not safe. I been told by others Bulls can get aggressive too.

I dove a 3 tank shark dive with Emerald 2 weeks ago. On all 3 doves we had about 7 lemons come up with us to the safety stop and circle around when we were getting on the boat.

It is the policy of Emerald that all divers have an Smh with them. Usually since they do shark dives everyone sticks together so that they can fill the action.

To clarify, alll of the items I listed are stored in pockets of my drysuit. If I were to dive wet, I would still store them in a pocket of some type.

Also, in the ocean, I also always dive with a SMB and appropriate-length reel/spool (didn't mention it bc I was responding to a specific question but realize it would be best if i specified this as well)

...During my dive brief with Emerald Charters, we where told NO shiny objects...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom