Coast Guard helicopter en route to assist unconscious Andrea Doria diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Coast Guard helicopter en route to assist unconscious Andrea Doria diver

(July 24, 2017) A United States Coast Guard helicopter was en route Monday afternoon to assist an unconscious diver who had been exploring the wreckage of the Andrea Doria 45 miles southeast of Nantucket.

Station Brant Point master chief Christopher Swiatek said around 4 p.m. the diver aboard the Old Salty II out of Belmar, N.J. had been unresponsive for at least 10 minutes and crew members were performing CPR on board.

The helicopter out of Air Station Cape Cod is expected to hoist the unresponsive diver from the dive boat and take him to the nearest hospital at the discretion of the crew.

Crap. I know several people on that trip.

All five of my friends are OK. That's something. I know it's selfish of us to wish it to be someone we don't know, but that's just how it is this time.

What does it mean by this? >>>
The helicopter crew was unable to hoist the unresponsive scuba diver because of the length of time CPR had been performed on the victim, which was approaching two hours,
What has the length of time got anything to do with hoisting a victim or patient up to the heli?

P

Gosh, I hate to hear this. When I first started diving I read a book about the divers who first explored the wreck in depth (can't remember the name of the book). I don't have the fortitude for this kind of diving, but I so admire those who do - and love to hear about what they discover.

Sounds like a pretty serious case. Just pray for the best for the unconscious diver. From reading Wikipedia of it, this wreck is deep. SS Andrea Doria - Wikipedia

"Due to the luxurious appointments and initially good condition of the wreck, with the top of the wreck lying initially in 160 feet (50 m) of water, Andrea Doriahas been a frequent target of treasure divers. It is commonly referred to as the "Mount Everest of scuba diving."[24] The comparison to Mt. Everest originated after a July 1983 dive on the Doria by Capt. Alvin Golden during a CBS News-televised interview of the divers following their return from a dive expedition to the wreck aboard the R/V Wahoo. The depth, water temperature, and currents combine to put the wreck beyond the scope of recreational diving. The skills and equipment required to successfully execute this dive, such as use of mixed gases and staged decompression, put it in the realm of only the most experienced technical divers. The wreck is located near 40°29.408′N 69°51.046′W.[25]"

Back
Top Bottom