New to this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Scarlett. I just wanted to stop by and wish you the very best of luck with your scuba training. You've come to a terrific website where you can ask any question you may have and you will get several replies. Dive safe, dive often and blow many bubbles. Have a great time!

Best of luck. You've already gotten some good mask advice. Smear a little baby shampoo on the inside of the glass and wipe it clean. Your mask will never fog up that way (you'll still have to clear a bit of water now and again). I wish I knew about the shampoo when I started, but there are so many little things you pick up along the way.

I shall take that advice with me thank you :) Ive been practicing tonigt in my sink haha feel a bit weird at the moment a mask filled with water and blowing out my nose but i kind of did it! im going to keep practising BEFORE i start :)

Welcome aboard Scarlett!

Lots of good advice above, just remember it’s supposed to be fun. If you aren’t enjoying some part of it, stop and consider. We are always available for advice and assistance.

Regards
Brendon

Am i right by filling my mask (its only a snorkel mask at the moment) & holding the top part and exhaling through my nose & opening it a tiny bit at bottom? well thats what ive been doing & the water does come out lol

Sounds good. Before I was certified I tried to clear the mask in the ocean but don't think I got my head deep enough or in the right position. I've read that many people find mask clearing the hardest skill. I didn't personally find that to be true, either with myself or with most of the students I was with as a DM.
Mask and related skills have a lot to do with airway control. Such as breathing only through the mouth or only through the nose, or both--or in one, out the other at will. Closing off completely either one's passages to prevent water from entering. You may have no problems with any of that. Having snorkeling experience beforehand is an obvious advantage.

Last edited:
Scarlett
(every time I see your post I think of Gone with the Wind and Scarlett O Hara and the Tara plantation )

May I suggest that you contact the local chapter of the BSAC ASAP. They have a great mentoring system and often have local and international dive trips at a considerably reduced rate.

Also I suspect the members would also be a great source of equipment selection advice

Good luck in you new adventure

SDM

Welcome. Just relax and accept that crack cocaine would probably be less addictive than diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom