Is it possible to erase the computer log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I tried to search for this but fount nothing. So is it possible to erase the dive log of a computer? By erase I mean totally remove all or some of the dives from its’ memory?

I don’t mean the “Reset” function where the previous accumulated nitrogen values are not taken into account for subsequent dives (used for renting purposes etc) – in that case all the dives remain in the log.

The reason I am asking is this: I recently fount a very good offer for a second hand computer. Still in warranty (less than 1 year old) with only 4 logged dives (2 of which were just jumps at 10 feet and back!) and less that half of the original price. Too good to be true.

Is it possible that one buys the computer, use/abuse it a lot, erase some or all of the log, (change battery if needed), do a couple more dives and then sell it as a “good as new” condition?

For sure a heavily used computer should have several scratches, marks etc but that particular one was pretty clean.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think you answered your own question... :)

Not necessarily, I was able to get a Vyper Air (with transmitter and download cable) for $200. It 'really' had 0 dives when I bought it and the party I purchased it from did not fit any profile you might associate with a thief. Her story was that it was just too complicated and she was moving to AZ and getting out of diving. I just got really lucky and hit Craigslist at exactly the right time. .

Back to the OP's question. . . it depends on the manufacturer. Can you share the specifics?

I just got really lucky and hit the Lottery at exactly the right time.

fixed it for you... lol good deal...

Some have a reset function, some don't. But for the most part, computers aren't going to "wear out" from dives. If it looks clean and isn't scratched up and is still in warranty that's a good indication that it's in nearly new shape. Same would be true if it had 100 dives on it.

Hello,
I tried to search for this but fount nothing. So is it possible to erase the dive log of a computer? By erase I mean totally remove all or some of the dives from its’ memory?

Yes.

As @RonR said, it doesn't matter. Some parts like pressure sensor, or rubber of the wrist band, may deteriorate after a decade or two, but if it's still on warranty then it hasn't been nearly long enough yet.

Just to pile on with those who are correctly say that the number of dives on a computer does not matter, I am sure there are thousands of computers still being used today that have many more dives than you are ever likely to have. I bought my first computer about 20 years ago. I eventually decided I needed one with different functions and sold it to a friend. It is still being used today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom