Travel help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thbcthomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for help picking a 2 week dive vacation destination for 2 adults and 3 kids (2 divers). We live in the dfw area and looking for suggestions on where would be the most affordable (by affordable, I mean cheapest) all around spot with world class diving during summer of 2018. I am willing to drive to another airport if it will save enough money. At this point I am looking at Cozumel, Cancun, and Turks and Caicos. Any suggestions for destinations outside the US? I know it is broad question but looking for some suggestions.

At the end of the day the answer will be Cozumel.
You may need to do the bag drag from Cancun - but Cozumel will be the least expensive.

A really big factor in pricing is whether or not you want to be on the water. If not, the price can go way way down.

Agree totally with DeputyDan. You "can" go really cheap with accomodations and food on Cozumel, and still have a clean basic room and excellent food.

Thanks for the help. I will start looking for airfare to cancun and hotel info in Cozumel.

Take a look at Blue Angel in Cozumel. Right on the water with a great dive operation and breakfast included each morning. Good shore dive and you can snorkel there as well. Really inexpensive if you are a non-diver. The food is very good there as well.

In the same boat, but now all the kids are divers as well. Resorts are out of range. VRBO, groceries, and rent a wrecks are the only way we can do it. What kind of budget are you working with, how old are the kids, and are you and Mom the divers?

In the same boat, but now all the kids are divers as well. Resorts are out of range. VRBO, groceries, and rent a wrecks are the only way we can do it. What kind of budget are you working with, how old are the kids, and are you and Mom the divers?
Kids are 14, 11, and 10. The 14 year old and I are the divers. I have not set a budget yet. I was hoping for $100 usd or less for hotel. Is car rental necessary?

Rental car depends on destination. At least there is no need for child care. You should be able to find a two bedroom condo for 100 a night in Cozumel as well as other places.

It's not Turks/Caicos on a limited budget - either it or Grand Cayman are the priciest dive destination we've seen.

Spirit is about $170 from dfw to Cancun in the summer. I know it is spirit, but with a family of 5 it is worth the savings.
Seems like a good price, any suggestions on what would be a great price to pay?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom