Mask troubles.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am lucky I guess. I have been able to wear any mask with no leaks since I started in the late '60s.
I bought a Hollis M1 frameless mask a few years ago online and it has been perfect from the beginning. My old, old, U S Diver's/Aqualung masks also worked, both the old round mask and the 3-lens reflecting pos I bought because it looked cool.

I am lucky I guess. I have been able to wear any mask with no leaks since I started in the late '60s.
I bought a Hollis M1 frameless mask a few years ago online and it has been perfect from the beginning. My old, old, U S Diver's/Aqualung masks also worked, both the old round mask and the 3-lens reflecting pos I bought because it looked cool.

You could probably have a casting made of your face and sell it to divers so they can take it to a plastic surgeon and say, "make my face shaped like this so my mask can quit leaking!!!!"
Wish I could find one that will work, and you can wear anything!!!!!

I've been reading this thread thinking how lucky I am. Not only has my very first mask not ever leaked (unless I laugh underwater), it is the mask that I use today. I have two that are just alike. I bought them in 1986.

On another note, my wife had flooding problems. I haven't researched them lately, but we got her a mask with a purge valve in the nose. Any water that comes in is expelled through the valve if she slightly exhales through her nose. It doesn't stop the leaking, but her mask never has water in it. I think they have stopped making these - not sure why because they work.

I mentioned the purge valve because who knows, you might see one on ebay cheap (especially if my wife stops diving likes she keeps saying she is going to do)

I wish I had some advice that is the definitive answer, but the experts on here have already told you all of the tricks. Good luck and keep trying. It sounds like you're getting close.

Cheers - M²

For years I have been suffering with intermittent mask leaking. Intermittent, because some dives the leaks are minimal, other dives I'm constantly clearing my mask. Expensive masks, cheap masks, didn't matter, they all fit properly on dry land and leaked in water (went through half a dozen masks).

In my particular case, I eventually discovered the leaking was related to how much I was exhaling through my nose. We need to do that to equalize the mask, but I discovered that once that is done, if I consciously focus on exhaling through my mouth only, the leaking slowed down considerably. Problem is when I'm not thinking about it, I start exhaling through my nose and the leaking starts.... a bad habit that I still have been unable to completely break. But at least I discovered my particular problem. Perhaps you are doing the same thing?

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in getting back on here...I was diving this weekend and got in some good dives. I wonder if anybody still makes masks with purge valves on them??? I have been looking at a lot of masks and I don't recall seeing a single one. Anyone out there know when they quit and why??? I suspect it is because you can easily get rid of the water without a valve.
I had 4 good dives and used the Atomic venom for all 4. It did leak some, but was no where near as bad as it had on some past dives. It never fogged at all, so I have that one licked....several other divers were fighting fogged up masks the entire time.
I definitely had seepage when I equalized on descent. I did not dive with a snorkel hanging on the strap and I only had to adjust the strap once on the second day. I also noticed that the mask moves around on my face at certain times when I would both inhale and exhale. It positively did not leak at all if I held it still. It didn't leak if I left it with a little mask squeeze and didn't fully equalize either. Again, this mask feels like a million bucks when I wear it, but perfect fit don't amount to much if it's able to move around on a dive. When I tried to tighten the strap and stop the movement it would distort and really leak. This week I will order the two masks that were previously suggested and see how they work. Thanks again for all the replies and info...as always, it is greatly appreciated.

I was looking for a prescription mask for my wife and found this:

Trim - SeaVisionUSA

All of their masks have the purge valve option. I just picked this one as an example. I don't see why you can't get one with a 20/20 prescription. Give them a call.

Cheers - M²

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom