Aldora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's my point - it doesn't happen every single day - and it would be impossible and/or irresponsible to dive some of those sites based on wind and weather on specific days. So my point was mainly to the diver speaking absolutes regarding other operations without first hand knowledge - no different than someone saying shop X is THE BEST when they've got no other frame of reference.
Obviously it's weather dependent. Some days the port is closed others you wouldn't want to go that far. So yes obviously it is weather dependent. My trips are usually two week trips, and yes when I have gone with Aldora we have been south of Palancar every day for the first dive. Palancar is a great second dive once all the other boats clear out. I agree with you that if I lived on the island that would get a little repetitive, but I don't, I'm only there for a short time. Do you know of another dive op that can make this happen? I'm just one diver and I can't afford to charter the entire boat. So yes I do appreciate what Aldora does. I wouldn't say that I "love" them like you did, but I do appreciate the way they dive the island.

I have been diving with Blue Angel for several years, and the first thing the DM says when everybody is aboard is "Where do you guys want to go today?" What makes you think that if every day the answer were to be reefs south of Palancar, they wouldn't go there? If the BA boats don't go to the south end every day, it's because we divers didn't want to go there.

Also and FWIW, some of my favorite dives are north of Colombia. If every dive you go on is south of Palancar that excludes 80-90% of the Cozumel reefs. For another thing, since the far south end is out of the lee of the island, getting in and out of the water can be difficult to impossible due to sea conditions and wave action on the southern "wild side" beaches can put so much fine sand in the water that the visibility on the far south reefs goes way down; there are some days when I wouldn't want to dive down there.

When I read how you dive the south sites like Maracaibo it becomes clear to me that you have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I know that the southern sites aren't everyone's cup of tea, but what you're doing isn't anyone's cup of tea.
I dove Maracaibo several years ago and didn't particularly enjoy it, but maybe it was due to the part of the reef the op took us to. The top of the reef was at 125' and we went down the wall to 154', where we got to stay for all of 5 minutes. Then it was a very slow ascent through the deep blue with nothing to see, in and out of deco all the way up. I was underwhelmed.

And there are dive ops out there, even In Cozumel, that do not require experienced, competent divers to follow the leader.

Haven't found one yet that says roll in, do as you please, pop your sausage when you surface, and the boat will pick you up.

Haven't found one yet that says roll in, do as you please, pop your sausage when you surface, and the boat will pick you up.

Since a DM is required, the op I use doesn't say it, but if they know you, they allow it. It's why I dive with them. It's one of those unsaid agreements...if you have to ask or be told it's o.k., you haven't dived with them long enough so you just stay with the group. You still get a nice dive. Kinda sucks 'til you figure it out (if that's what you're after), but life is full of stuff like that. :wink:

When I read how you dive the south sites like Maracaibo it becomes clear to me that you have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I know that the southern sites aren't everyone's cup of tea, but what you're doing isn't anyone's cup of tea.
True that; I have no idea what you are on about. I didn't post that story about Maracaibo because it's what I wanted to do, and how would you know what I am "doing"? I have, however, been diving Cozumel for over 25 years, so I do know a bit about the diving there. There's no reason to get all defensive, though; disagreement does not equal attack.

True that; I have no idea what you are on about. I didn't post that story about Maracaibo because it's what I wanted to do, and how would you know what I am "doing"? I have, however, been diving Cozumel for over 25 years, so I do know a bit about the diving there. There's no reason to get all defensive, though; disagreement does not equal attack.
I'm not getting all defensive. All I did is state a fact. I don't know of any other dive op that dives south of Palancar every day.
What was the point of your reply?

I'm not getting all defensive. All I did is state a fact. I don't know of any other dive op that dives south of Palancar every day.
What was the point of your reply?
Just that they don't necessarily do that (sometimes conditions do not permit it), and the fact that you don't know of something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. If you have found an op that satisfies all your needs that's great.

Last edited:

It appears uncfnp has found a secret dive op that allows such though.

It appears uncfnp has found a secret dive op that allows such though.
If I want to tool around on my own then I go with 3P's. They're good about that. I don't think I will ever dive with just one dive op. They all do things a little differently.

Last edited:
I would not want to dive with an operator that does this on drift dives. Safety aside, the boat will be spending a lot of time going all over the place finding and picking up divers. Even with a 6 pack and buddy pairs, that is 3 pairs diving and surfacing who knows where.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom