Taming things dangling off my BCD. A big rubber band maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A BC with pockets is always going to create drag, especially when the pockets are full. Take a look at this and you may get some ideas about how to streamline your gear. Also, it's not necessary to take items with you that you won't need during the dive.

I use a small bungee cord across my chest for tucking in my octo (of course only when diving solo). That way I KNOW it won't touch sand as I am usually very close to the bottom on my dives and have spent $100 on sand in reg repair. This would keep it off a reef as well. I also occasionally stuff my shell bag or a scallop or two under it to free my hands. Anything like that which works and doesn't present a safety concern (like dropping weights) seems OK.

Max Bottom, I quite agree not to take things I won't need. I rather want my gloves, slate, and sausage though, on a contingency level. Sometimes I put the gloves on if the boat is jumping when I'm coming back. Only thing I carry that I almost never use is my slate, and I think I might need it eventually.

Thank you for the link though. I'd like to move my knife higher, but I think that needs to be another thread.

Bit of a question, where does one acquire inner-tube if they don't have old ones laying around? I don't, and I hesitate to pay a lot for a new one if I'm going to chop it up.

Check with your local bike shop. When I worked at a bike shop many years ago, we had people bringing in their bikes with flat tires all the time. We never patched the tubes, just not worth it. We always sold them a new tube and installed it.

The old tube went in the trash. If your local bike shop does the same thing, they'll probably be more than willing to give you as many old tubes as you like... especially if you explain what you're using it for.

I use a small bungee cord across my chest for tucking in my octo (of course only when diving solo). That way I KNOW it won't touch sand as I am usually very close to the bottom on my dives and have spent $100 on sand in reg repair. This would keep it off a reef as well
A perfect reason for using a bungeed octo around the neck. It stays off the bottom, you know if it begins to freeflow and in an emergency it is right under your chin, accessible without even using your hands. Keeping it in a BC pocket or clipped to some plastic holder is asking for sand in it or not being able to get to it quickly when it comes loose.

A perfect reason for using a bungeed octo around the neck. It stays off the bottom, you know if it begins to freeflow and in an emergency it is right under your chin, accessible without even using your hands. Keeping it in a BC pocket or clipped to some plastic holder is asking for sand in it or not being able to get to it quickly when it comes loose.
Good point. I know many do this. Is it any more difficult to donate to an OOA buddy? Obviously not a concern if diving solo.

It's extremely easy. You simply dip your head forward so the buddy can have your primary reg. You can switch to your backup while your chin is down or use your hand to place the backup into your mouth. It takes about two seconds.

My take on preventing danglies:
1) Octo - hose bent and fed into my chest D ring. Puts it in a visible place but still available and easily deployed if required.
2) Torches- Inner tube rings just below the chest D rings. I always dive with 2 lights so both are stowed in this way until required and are easily stowed back there if required. A few dives later and you can normally get them back in without even looking.
3) SPG (when I had it on my gear)- secured to waist D ring with clip (knotted to SPG with line but could easily have been done with a zip tie). Done this way with the right hose length it actually sits almost flush with the body until required when it is unhooked, checked and restowed.

Inner tube rings are cheap - as someone said, one tube will do all the loops you will ever need and at £2-3 a tube it makes sense. It is worth checking what size (MTB tubes will be a lot bigger than road/hybrid so are probably a better fit for this use).

Do a search for Ranger Bands. Here is a link to the first ones I found but you can find them cheaper

Ranger Bands

Edit: Amazon has a pack of 24 listed at $15.50

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom