Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going with the cheap dive computer. After 25 years, you probably know your needs. I went with an AI computer mostly because I like getting the tank pressures recorded with the log. Don’t really need the data for anything... I dive air and nitrox, no deco, no gas switching mid water. It has an electronic compass that I will never use. Most of the time it is a bottom timer that happens to track the NDL. I could buy a nice dive watch, but it wouldn’t do as many things and the ones I would enjoy owning make the computer the cheaper purchase.

Buy what you need, but charters are gonna look at you sideways if you show up with out a computer. They want limit the number of people being accidental bent (see the recent nitrox thread).

I am going with the cheap dive computer. After 25 years, you probably know your needs. I went with an AI computer mostly because I like getting the tank pressures recorded with the log. Don’t really need the data for anything... I dive air and nitrox, no deco, no gas switching mid water. It has an electronic compass that I will never use. Most of the time it is a bottom timer that happens to track the NDL. I could buy a nice dive watch, but it wouldn’t do as many things and the ones I would enjoy owning make the computer the cheaper purchase.

Buy what you need, but charters are gonna look at you sideways if you show up with out a computer. They want limit the number of people being accidental bent (see the recent nitrox thread).

Once or twice I've had the DM on a dive boat tell me to stick with them because I didn't have a computer, and so far nobody has told me it's required, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did happen sometime in the near future. Recently I read that Hawai'i has no operational hyperbaric chamber so I could see how and why they might impose such a requirement. I still don't have a computer but it's not like I'm going diving in Hawai'i in the next couple of weeks--actually it's not for about 3 weeks. Maybe I should look into this....

What I don't seem to understand is why all the need for $1500 computer with bluetooth integration as a rec diver.

Because if you dive in low vis and want a visible screen, anything with TFT/OLED is closer to a grand than it is is to $250, and bluetooth and stuff is just icing on the cake. With one exception for "only" $400, and that wasn't quite getting rave reviews last I checked. I too am happy with my sub-$200 computer (so far), so I get to drop $1500 on airplane tickets every time I go diving where I can see my sub-$200 computer.

And also because these days if you have a $1500 and take it to a bank, bank's CEO can buy themself a shiny new toy. So buying a shiny new toy for yourself instead at least get you a shiny new toy.

Last edited:
For those who say that you use a watch and tables as a backup in case your computer fails after a dive, let me give you a simple case with which to demonstrate your skill.

I do a multi-level dive on a reef, with a maximum depth of 100 feet. I work my way up the reef, ending with a total dive time of 68 minutes. I get on the boat and see that my computer has conked out. I grab my tables to prepare for the second dive, which will come after a one our surface interval and hope for a maximum depth of 75 feet. What are my limits for that dive?

I would guess that 90% of the world's divers can do just fine with the cheapest computer on the market. As for paying $1,500 for a computer, I dive with 2 excellent, state-of-the-art computers on every dive. Their combined cost is about $1,500.

When I was certified in 1990 many divers then didn't have computers and we used tables.

Last year after taking over a decade off from diving, I took up the sport again. So, I must admit it had been a long time out of the water. I have noticed that everybody has all kinds of expensive computers that seem to to the same thing. Bluetooth air gauge? Does anybody not trust electronics underwater?

When I recently started diving pretty regularly, I bought a full kit including a computer. I bought an Aqualung i300. It seemed to replace the tables very nicely and gave me what I needed to dive safely as a purely rec diver. I also passed on the bluetooth air reading and went with a standard gauge.

What I don't seem to understand is why all the need for $1500 computer with bluetooth integration as a rec diver. I see all these divers, some very experienced, wearing all these expensive dive computers with even backup $700 computers. Is this all really necessary? I paid $250 and so far am happy with my computer.

Here is my opinion, get what you need for the diving you plan to do price is not the issue. When I started to dive, I bought the Zeagle In2ition, it was being discontinued and I got two of them one for my wife for around
$375 total. I have over 200 dives on it never had an issue, can change the battery myself and its very easy to use. As well it allows for two gas mixtures so if I wanted to use it for deco diving I could. There are some draw backs to it. Hard to see at night and it is back lite so light is not always on have to push the button. This is a solid computer and works great and I will still use it or my kids will.

Last week I bought a Sherwater Perdix non AI cause I would be wearing a back up spg even if I used wireless gas monitoring which I don't want to anyhow and yes in the $800+ range it has lots of things I did not have on the zeagle and that is why I bought it, as well it will take me as far as I see myself going in the next 5 years or so of diving and if not if I take care of it I can recoup some of the cost as they seem to hold a decent value.

My point is do you need an expensive computer, answer that just depends on you wants and needs. Anything for use under water is expensive compared to things that are not in general. And well some folks are gear junkies, I use to be a cyclist and my Cannondale race bike had wheels that cost more than my car at the time...:)

Among the benefits, the newer dive computers give you color menus and pretty graphics such as a scuba tank partially full of air and wireless internet access so you can check emails and Facebook messages during a lackluster dive.

Wow, I must be too easily amused underwater because I have never even thought about emails and social media stuff while diving, even on the most boring dive of my life. For me, one of the joys of diving is doing and thinking of nothing other than being in the moment.

Wow, I must be too easily amused underwater because I have never even thought about emails and social media stuff while diving, even on the most boring dive of my life. For me, one of the joys of diving is doing and thinking of nothing other than being in the moment.

I can't go 15 minutes without checking FB or recent ScubaBoard posts. I get so anxious I cannot enjoy the underwater world and all it's inhabitants.

The OP is kind of a rant to me. No, you don't need the best or most expensive PDC to go diving. However, I'm not going to fault you if you want them. Dive and let dive. I love my Petrels. Big, easy to read and I trust the company that makes them. I just got a Perdix so I can use their AI features and have the same great company behind me. On top of that, I dive the Garmin Descent and love the info I get from it. On a shore dive in Bonaire, I noticed that my pulse went pretty high during my exit after having done a fairly deep dive. Wow. I backed off on the effort a bit. It also logged my entrance and exit coordinates. How cool is that? It's fine if that doesn't interest you, but it does me. So no, I don't feel shamed diving the latest/greatest. Dive and let dive.

For those who say that you use a watch and tables as a backup in case your computer fails after a dive, let me give you a simple case with which to demonstrate your skill.

I do a multi-level dive on a reef, with a maximum depth of 100 feet. I work my way up the reef, ending with a total dive time of 68 minutes. I get on the boat and see that my computer has conked out. I grab my tables to prepare for the second dive, which will come after a one our surface interval and hope for a maximum depth of 75 feet. What are my limits for that dive?
Sure in that case you better have another computer or you are done diving that day! But here’s another scenario: You are a broke little scuba rat and you wait until off season to drive down to LDBS to stay in a 1950’s off beach motel for shore diving. You choose not to buy a second computer so you can afford the motel. You swim out on a typical dive that will max out at like 35-45 feet and on the way your computer craps out. You glance at your cheap Timex and keep diving for an hour. When you get out you think, crap now I have to look up my pressure group... time for a long lunch!

Back
Top Bottom