Coldest temperature on a Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been diving in Naragansett Bay (Rhode Island) in a 5/7 mm Pinnacle Cruiser, 7mm hood, and water temperature between 38 and 42; 38 was cold after a while but 42 was fine after the initial bite. I agree with DA Aquamater, motivation is a key factor. For what it is worth air temperature is also important. With the Air temp in the 40's its no big deal getting in and out of your wetsuit and then warming up in the car, it is a lot harder to get motivated if the air gets colder.

Actually, in my younger days, I did more or less ice diving in a wet suit. -Or more popularly described as a semi dry. But I felt wet...

It wasn't planned, but the water in the harbour where we dove froze when we were down, and we had to hack ourselves up to get out! And this was in the ocean and it wasn't raining, so it was likely around 30F.

Not recommendable at all. Really stupid if I may say... Water temps down to 12C/54F is manageable in a very good wetsuit, but air temps decide wether or not it's recommendable. We usually have water temps up to 59F, but I haven't seen a wetsuit diver in years. We all dive dry here.
I dont even OWN a wetsuit at the moment. The only wetsuits Ive owned has been for windsurfing and other watersports..
Ive been diving 10c/50F temps semidry and that worked ok for one dive, but taking it back on for a 2nd? No thanks!

I was looking for any info to help me decide if I could dive a 7/5 mm wetsuit in 40 F water without being miserable. I don't have drysuit, but I wanted to get a dive in locally and its cold here. This is a very old thread, but I ended up here and was left more-or-less pretty anxious about my up-coming dive. I thought I would post my experience, since I was pleasantly surprised -- I was fairly comfortable.

My exposure gear: 7/5 mm scubapro everflex, 6/5 mm hood (scubapro everflex), 5 mm booties, 3.5 mm gloves (all fairly new, purchased in spring 2017). Thats it - no additional neoprene.

Dive Location: woodshole, ma. Beach dive.
water surface temp: 40 F
Min temp: 39 F
Max Depth: 43 ft for 10min of the dive (average depth ~20 ft)
Duration: 33 minutes
Air temp: 43 F

Overall, I felt pretty good during and after the dive. The only part of my body that felt uncomfortable was my hands. This became noticeable about 15min into the dive, though after the dive my hands were not numb. I will purchase 5-7mm gloves in the future. My body, feet, and head felt good; I wasn't warm - but I wasn't freezing either - and I enjoyed the dive. The dive was 33 minutes, but I was also floating in the water for ~10 minutes before the dive, waiting for companions to join. Everyone else was diving dry, and they thought I would be freezing and would be cutting the dive short. But I never though once thought about calling the dive early. So, 39 F in a 7 mm wetsuit: yes, its not too bad. Not the ideal setup, but sufficient to get into the water for a dive and enjoy it.

I dive in a SEAC semi-dry 7mm in some of the winter months in water temps that have been as low as 36°F but are often in the 40s. The dives usually can last about 45 minutes or so, until the hands/fingers start to go. Those in the group diving wet get to make the turn call. It is usually after the dive when we are de-gearing, especially if there is a decent breeze blowing, where I might get truly chilled.

42 in a 7mm Henderson thermaxx in Rockport, MA. No issues. Wouldn’t go much colder wet though. Hands were fine with Aqualung heat gloves but feet were very cold, with wool socks under 6mm boots.

42 in a 7mm Henderson thermaxx in Rockport, MA. No issues. Wouldn’t go much colder wet though. Hands were fine with Aqualung heat gloves but feet were very cold, with wool socks under 6mm boots.
75 in a 7mm shorty, 78 in a full 3mm. Above that I just use a t-shirt and board shorts. I hate sweating inside my suit.

Back
Top Bottom