Just Back From Lembeh And Ra - Airline Fees And Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. It's not totally clear to me that you will be allowed the free 43kg again. I read this be mean that you may check one 23kg of scuba gear (hence extra 3kg free). A second bag would charged at the going rate.. My experience has been that an extra 2-3kg of baggage is often allowed.

I thnk this is totally clear when you read the full page : Sports equipement bag (read scuba diving) is additional 23kg, if more than that then it will be compensated with the regular luggage allowance 20 kgs. So this is back to the former situation before august 2015.

• Each passenger can only get additional free 1 pc ( ≤ 23 kg) of sport equipment.
  • If the passenger brings more than 1 pc, then for the second (next) sport equipment should be calculated into the Free Baggage Allowance.
  • When the baggage over the passenger baggage allowance, such excess will be assessed first at normal applicable excess baggage rate.

I just returned from Raja Ampat on Tuesday 5/3. I flew from SFO to Manado via Singapore and then from Manado to Sorong on Garuda. There was no entry tax upon entry at Manado, they stopped that for now at least. Garuda did not even question my dive bag that weighed 52lbs when I told them that it was scuba gear. I also carried on my camera back pack and a pelican case with camera gear. Both of these exceed the posted weight limit. I was not even questioned. The Manado to Sorong flight was a nice flight. Short and in a new plane. I was pleased by how and clean the Sorong airport is. Anyone needing to overnight in Sorong before boarding a Liveaboard or waiting for a flight should check out the Swissbel Hotel. It was very nice. Clean, good food, great service and inexpensive.

I just had Silkair from Singapore to Manado deny my carry on bag with the camera housing and strobes citing that it was too heavy. I explained that contents and let them know how fragile they are and hence the carry on. They did not relent.

In fairness, it is heavier than the stated policy, but I have traveled with this bag and setup all over the world (including Asia). I am usually willing to pay a little extra for this flight because Silkair has larger planes that allow for this. Will reconsider this.

Out of curiosity, where you booked on a Singapore air ticket or on a separate SilkAir ticket?

Singapore Airlines & Silk Air are strick on carry on. I had to keep my carryon under 7kg when I checkin in Houston.

No complaint from my part since they let me carry 2 of up to 23kg luggages & paying Houston-Jakarta roundtrip for $680 on last November trip to Raja Ampat.

Singapore Airlines & Silk Air are strick on carry on.

Wow I have never had my hand luggage weighed when flying with Sing/Silk Air. My camera bag must weigh 15kg easy!! And I've always had it with me onboard.

Unfortunately we had to claim our luggage 3 times on this trip = Jakarta (and re-check with Singapore Airlines); JFK (and re-check on Jet Blue) and finally in Boston. Not sure why SA would not check through on Jet Blue...particularly since the Singapore-Frankfurt-JFK flight was a code share with Jet Blue (Jet Blue was even showing on the monitors in Singapore airport). We argued with them about this when we were re-checking the bags in Jakarta = no help.

Isn't this a US Immigration/Customs regulation instead of an airline thing? Every time I fly internationally into the US and have a connecting flight (either domestic US or internationally out of the US) I need to claim and recheck my luggage. Even when my inbound and outbound flights are on the same airline (for example United).

Isn't this a US Immigration/Customs regulation instead of an airline thing? Every time I fly internationally into the US and have a connecting flight (either domestic US or internationally out of the US) I need to claim and recheck my luggage. Even when my inbound and outbound flights are on the same airline (for example United).

Correct - this is not an airline policy. It is a US Policy

Checking baggage through to your connecting flight via airlines

Correct - this is not an airline policy. It is a US Policy

Checking baggage through to your connecting flight via airlines
As with almost everything, there are exceptions. I did a trip to Grand Turk a couple years ago (so things might have changed since then) and I connected through MIA on my way to Toronto. I have a NEXUS Card, my traveling companion did not and neither of us had to claim our luggage in MIA. It was routed from PLS all the way to YYZ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom