Trip Report North Sulawesi Trip Report Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really!
I have been using it(same brand) for several yrs and it is just not as effective as DEET but good enough for me. When the female mossie wants my blood for her to develop eggs, there is no stopping!
There's scientific proof for you. empiric view of one. And that does not seem to work well either :confused:

When Zika, Dengue or Malaria are endemic, use DEET or Picaridin. Avoid Cactus Juice and other psuedo potions/lotions that sound too good to be true. Even Avon added Picaridin to Skin-so-soft after the "natural" chemical free nonsense they were selling turned out to attract more bugs than it repelled.

There's scientific proof for you. empiric view of one. And that does not seem to work well either :confused:

When Zika, Dengue or Malaria are endemic, use DEET or Picaridin. Avoid Cactus Juice and other psuedo potions/lotions that sound too good to be true. Even Avon added Picaridin to Skin-so-soft after the "natural" chemical free nonsense they were selling turned out to attract more bugs than it repelled.
DEET is number 1 for sure.
But I am sticking on one particular eucalyptus brand which has been adequate so far. If I am travelling, highly unlikely , in some remote tropical places then DEET is the one I trusted.

Soffel is everywhere in SG but I find it doesn’t work nearly as well as good old fashioned 25% deet OFF. When I use it properly and get full coverage I don’t get any bites, it’s when I get lazy/forget that I get eaten alive

Soffel is everywhere in SG
Wish it were actually. :(
I am currently in SG and tried yesterday evening to find some before taking off to Phils today.
Watson's, None. Guardian, None. Big supermarket in Katong, None.

Soffel is everywhere in SG but I find it doesn’t work nearly as well as good old fashioned 25% deet OFF.
I brought OFF with me on the trip, some spray and some cream, I survived with few bites.

@outofofficebrb, could you tell us about how did you get your antigen test for going back to US and what's the cost?

Thanks,
Dan

My flight home (1 ticket) departed from Manado on May 13. I got an antigen test on May 12 at Sorong airport. I had the resort make the booking for me so they took me. I think it was 100,000 IDR. They barely touched me when they swabbed and the results were out in 5 minutes…I suspect everyone tests negative that way. (Ha!) The results loaded into the PeduliLindungi app and automatically linked to my profile. The printout was only in Bahasa which Manado check in folks questioned at check in. I asked for English and it wasn’t available. I showed them the PeduliLindungi app and they advised I screen shot it in case someone in the US also asks for it and to retain the bahasa copy in case they need to translate.

I had a 24 hour layover in Singapore (still on the same ticket) so I entered Singapore. (It was super easy to get in. I registered and verified my vaccine online with immediate confirmation and filled out my arrival card and e health info ahead of time.) I showed passport, took photo, did fingerprints and that was it. For departure, I left on May 14 and was already issued my boarding pass in Manado so I went straight to immigration. My boarding pass wouldn’t scan at the auto kiosk so the agent has to scan and double check the details; I went to a live agent. Arrived in SFO and breezed through global entry arrivals in less than 20 seconds including taking my pic and handing over the receipt. All they asked me was if I had anything to declare.

You can do a test 1 calendar day before your departure to the US. In this case my initial departure (again, 1 ticket) was May 13 which is how I got it done on May 12. If you piece your own connections and have multiple tickets it should be 1 calendar day before the last departure flight into the US.

My partner did his antigen at Jakarta airport. He flew Sorong to Jakarta and did it before he checked in.

All they asked me was if I had anything to declare.
To which you replied "I had a f****n great time.

My flight home (1 ticket) departed from Manado on May 13. I got an antigen test on May 12 at Sorong airport. I had the resort make the booking for me so they took me. I think it was 100,000 IDR. They barely touched me when they swabbed and the results were out in 5 minutes…
Thanks for detail reply! That’s good to know.

The cost is very reasonable. Rp.100,000 is about $7. That’s how much Antigen Self Test kit cost here in USA. Although the test kit comes with 2 tests. Actually we can get 8 Antigen test kits for free from US postal service, but the self-proctored ones are more expensive ($69 from Antigen Testing Services – Get Tested Now).

On my way home from Phuket last February, my flight left at just over midnight, so I missed the 1 day before requirement. I ended up getting another test in Dubai airport as I had 7 hour layover. It costed me $50 then. The nurse barely swabbed the tip of my nose trill too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom