Nikonos or Something Else for Film?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m00dawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been getting feverishly back into film photography for my above water pursuits and thought it would be fun to try it under the water. I love making darkroom/wet prints and think some stylized BW might be a fun reason to get wet in my local area (perhaps try out P3200 since it was re-released again but also HP5, Pancro, etc.). Plus with Ektachrome coming back that might be fun to try (though seems challenging under the water unless it's perhaps shallow or very bright?).

I did some searching around here, and it's kind of a polarizing topic. Not trying to make this some film v digital tirade. I use a GoPro for most of my underwater stuff (mostly just do video) and also own a nice Nikon DSLR (though haven't been nearly brave enough to take it underwater in a housing). I'd likely keep using my GoPro and just bring the film camera for fun and experimentation. I think TMAX P3200 under the water would look pretty awesome for instance.

Rather I was curious what folks that have used film UW cameras think about the Nikonos cameras? Seems like that is the best go to when reading up and the Nikonos IV and V's are quite affordable. I'd consider myself a moderate to advanced shooted in both film and digital (not a professional though) so was thinking something that gives me more control than just a point and shoot. I was hoping for something in medium format but in searching around that is both very expensive and very rare (though I did read about some clever ideas such as putting a Holga in a bag :p). Also read some articles of some crazy folks taking a 4x5 large format camera underwater. Sounds amazingly fun but well over the top for anything I could think of doing (I have a 4x5 but, yeah...).

Any thoughts on the Nikonos then and/or tips on underwater film photography in general? (trolls need not apply here, yes yes digital is better, I know - that's not the point) Wondering, for instance, how filters work with color/slide film given the white balance is more fixed than with digital. I also don't really know what to expect in terms of light levels. GoPro does a fine job most of the time at that for video and I've never pondered it much (I'm more concerned with getting the white balance right with filters, etc.). Kinda why I was thinking high speed films like Portra 800, T-Max P3200, HP5 (perhaps pushed to 800 or more), etc. Ektachrome would look so lovely but without strobes I can't imagine it's speed, when it does come out, will be useful. Velvia even more so.

I use a Nikon F100 in an E-Bay Sea & Sea housing. Had to buy two cheap housings and combine them. The F100 has all the modern features you find on digital, including autofocus, compensation and digital screen with settings. As a bonus, Sea & Sea strobes are still analog and the F100 shoots ttl by just connecting a 5 pin sync cord. I took some nice pictures with it the first time out, just using settings from my D300 experience. As a bonus, all my lenses and Sea & Sea ports work. Film is expensive. Costs me about $25 a roll to do 36 slides with high quality scans, + the price of the film. (Fuji 100 in a six pack seems the best deal and takes nice pics.)

Back
Top Bottom