Proving Dive Numbers - scuba earth okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's a theoretical question for me, as I keep a paper log, but say you're taking a course, or a ...whatever... that requires X amount of dives. Would anyone accept a scubaearth log?

It seems ridiculously easy thing to fake since there's no witness sign-off. (I guess a witness would be easy enough to fake as well)

Anyway, just curious.

I haven't had people sign off on my dives. I download my computer to dive log 6 - it's easy to see how many night dives, 100' dives etc... - I guess people that have needed to know just trust that you aren't lying.

As many have often said, you can easily fake a paper log too. Who does that--why? For course requirements of # dives logged, the requirement is no more then " ___ logged dives". Nothing about signatures, so solo dives count -- I guess. But yes, it's all a matter of just trusting you. This is no problem of course if the shop/dive op knows you.
On rare times when I've buddy dived and gotten a signature, the diver often didn't have with them or know their cert. number--so that signature is as good as me just making up one.

Its an honor system. The last time asked for my logbook it was in the 80s. Not sure why but I don't mind not being asked.

It's a theoretical question for me... Anyway, just curious.

In my opinion it does not matter if you say 1, 100, or 1000 dives. When you get under the water for your course or shakeout or whatever - it will be very apparent to the instructor or whomever is checking you out. If you pass you move on - if you don't there is no Scuba Police... But it may be embarrassing to you and whomever you are with if you get turned down for the class or whatever...
:)

In my opinion it does not matter if you say 1, 100, or 1000 dives. When you get under the water for your course or shakeout or whatever - it will be very apparent to the instructor or whomever is checking you out. If you pass you move on - if you don't there is no Scuba Police... But it may be embarrassing to you and whomever you are with if you get turned down for the class or whatever...
:)
Side question--Has anyone been on a charter in Canada or U.S. where there was a "shakeout" dive? Or is this strictly a tropical thing?

Side question--Has anyone been on a charter in Canada or U.S. where there was a "shakeout" dive? Or is this strictly a tropical thing?

Probably more a tropical thing at locations where people will be diving all week, whether a LOB or land-based dive resort. Also, could be rules of marine parks that are more commonly found in the tropics.

In the NorthEast - Maine to NJ - I have never been asked for a shakeout. I have been asked for an AOW card and that is it...

AOW and the proper redundant gear and I have been on my own... No questions asked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom