Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just watched a video where a class taught by one the most experienced divers in the world did something quite interesting that I would like to try...

They were diving a wreck (about 170 to the sand') and prior to doing a free water ascent they all pulled out their DSMB (already rigged to a spool) and put a breath in it. They did NOT release it. They all started their ascents while holding the "primed" bag. They basically rode the bag up to about 100 feet where they all released it and then it was a normal DSMB hang from there. I am really intrigued by this technique as it seems quick, easy, and efficient.

I would like some input from people who have done this. I am not really worried about an uncontrolled ascent so please don't freak out and say that because that is easily avoidable and I believe the pros outweigh that very very slight risk.

Any tips from those who have tried it would be appreciated. Also, people who don't do it but have done it please let me know why. Thanks

They start the procedure around 27min into the video

Easy enough if you can control your ascent rate comfortably with that method and not get tangled.

Some deco theories suggest getting off the bottom quite quickly and this might be what they are trying to accomplish with minimal effort.

Anyone with first hand knowledge of his methods know why he is doing this fairly unorthodox deployment strategy?

What agency teaches this method? I have never seen this.

Ah, it’s Chatterton. Interesting. TDI does not advocate this, yet I assume he is issuing TDI Trimix certs to these students.

Interesting - he talks a lot about CO2 narcosis, I wonder if this is a method to reduce that....

I'm hoping to take classes there in the spring, maybe I'll find out then. That dive didn't look too sidemount friendly though.........

Works great. You modulate your ascent by paying the line out. The SMB is at the surface before you hit your first stop. After learning this, I prefer this method to anything except ascending on an anchor line. I also like to go quite negative on the wreck before inflating the SMB. For me, it slows down the process so I can get through the number of things I am dealing with once the SMB starts to fly. The ascent is not meant to be faster than any other method you might use. Just more efficient, in my humble opinion.

So the purpose of doing this transfer of air from your BCD to DMSB to ascend and using the line to moderate the ascent is not having to release air from you BCD so early on the ascent as it's ?mostly? transferred?
and I guess you have your DSMB line as an effective ascent reference from 100ft and shallower.

Guess it's also a good gear failure practise too.

Back
Top Bottom