Riding a DSMB up from a deep wreck???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did that AN/DP/Adv. Wreck class with JC 2 years ago, and we did indeed "ride our DSMBs up" a few times. However, it was done in the context of using the DSMB as redundant buoyancy (i.e. if your wing dies).

I thought that practice using redundant buoyancy was in line with TDI guidelines for the classes, but it could be it was just one of JC's add-ons.

Note to cold water divers: Not many people dive dry suits in Pompano Beach FL, so your DSMB is your only backup. And no lift bags in this class.

We did this exercise 2-3 times after various dives, and at first it WAS tricky to control ascent rate. And one time I managed to foul the Manta Jr. reel when I released the DSMB (about 15 ft below the first deco stop). We had been instructed to just let the reel go if that happened. JC gave me his spool and DSMB for my deco (since he had a spare).

I actually have a lot of respect for what guys like JC accomplished without the benefit of readily available training and standards, they had to learn the hard way and make some of it up as they went. I just wish some of those guys would embrace newer and better refined ways of doing things.

You can love or hate DIR, regardless, it really upped the game on basic skills sets for tech divers.

You can also wrap legs around an anchor line. (Don't ask how I know this ...)
Seaweed doc during the day ... pole dancing in the evening ?
:yeahbaby:

There are TDI drills using a bag in case of wing failure. I've done them but with an actual lift bag with a dump valve on top. Not very difficult. I doubt this is being taught as a normal ascent strategy.

Lots of kneeling, touching, hand waving, and random kicking going on.

Ya, kinda reminded me of why I dislike diving in groups so much.

As for the DSMB deployment, I'd be "disinclined" to try that up here with drysuits and drygloves. It strikes me as something that has minimal benefit and is "fraught with risk" if something gets tangled.

I prefer to try to only do one thing at a time on a deeper dive. It's a little like the old "pat your head and rub your stomach" thing. This skill would be fine until it isn't. Someone needing gas, an equipment issue on ascent etc.

If you're trying to reduce exertion on the way up (thinking of the CO2 point) you could also just inflate your wing and "ride that up" and while I'm pretty sure few people think that would be a good idea, it seems a lot simpler than this.

I see this as the wrong setup for the job. If you're going to dive wet with an unbalanced negative rig, use a dual bladder wing (second inflator left detached from your gas/oral inflate) as your secondary buoyancy and a lift bag as your "this dive really sucks" back up.

I see this as the wrong setup for the job. If you're going to dive wet with an unbalanced negative rig, use a dual bladder wing (second inflator left detached from your gas/oral inflate) as your secondary buoyancy and a lift bag as your "this dive really sucks" back up.
Or just...yanno... dive a balanced rig?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom