Mail Order Computer Rental - Shearwater Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIY

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone renting out dive computer through ScubaBoard. With the high cost of them, I wonder if it is profitable to rent them out. I have three Shearwater Teric's for the family that just sit idle 90% of the year.

What's your thoughts?

Anyone renting out dive computer through ScubaBoard. With the high cost of them, I wonder if it is profitable to rent them out. I have three Shearwater Teric's for the family that just sit idle 90% of the year.

What's your thoughts?
Since your 'renter' maybe doesn't own a dive computer, they are probably a newish diver. I wouldn't even care about the replacement cost of the 'puter, it would be the liability legal cost that would keep me up at night. Written releases are nice, but still anyone can be blamed & sued. Pick an easier product to rent like a boat GPS where all they can do is get lost instead of dying underwater.

Pick an easier product to rent like a boat GPS where all they can do is get lost instead of dying underwater

They will get lost and can't find their way back home, run out of gas and then drift for days and die because of thirst and hunger with some of them resorting to cannibalism until they die. You will have a bigger mess than just one computer!!!!

@DIY Interesting thought but not for me. I like to take good care of my stuff and don't know what will happen in someone else's hands.

What's your thoughts?

Regs sit idle too.......:poke:.....novel idea though.

Why don’t more dive shops offer higher quality rentals (for a higher price)? Like ski shops rent demo skis which are the latest models.

Why don’t more dive shops offer higher quality rentals (for a higher price)? Like ski shops rent demo skis which are the latest models.

Dunno about skis, rent I see on computers is such that it after a few dozen dives a $150 Puck is cheaper. Unless you're in HI or FL.

I know the thread is older but with the release of the new Shearwater, I was also thinking why doesn't anyone offer mail order type rental? Maybe I will buy one and start renting it. I noticed someone mentioned the liability risk. How is it a liabilty risk to rent a computer to a stranger, but is perfectly OK to sell one to some random stranger on the board with no worries about liability?

I know the thread is older but with the release of the new Shearwater, I was also thinking why doesn't anyone offer mail order type rental? Maybe I will buy one and start renting it. I noticed someone mentioned the liability risk. How is it a liabilty risk to rent a computer to a stranger, but is perfectly OK to sell one to some random stranger on the board with no worries about liability?

I suspect that there is some legal mumbo jumbo that relates to "fit for purpose" and a difference between selling something "as-is" and renting something.

I would guess that, if a private individual sells a computer, they can claim that they did not assert any fitness for purpose. I.e. you sold it "as-is" and did not claim that it is fit for use as a dive computer. Many private sellers specifically mention "you should have this serviced" before you use it - for any scuba gear. That could be argued as passing the liability for fitness of purpose to the buyer and whoever they get to service it.

On the other hand, if you're renting out a dive computer, it would be a lot harder to argue that you were not offering as fit for the specific purpose of diving with it. So, if it tells them they're at 30' when they're really at 130', the liability is more easily pinned on you.

The simple answer is to form an LLC (or LLP or C corp or whatever) and have the LLC own the computers, rent them out, and, thus, "own" the liability. Having that structure won't prevent an owner of the LLC from being liable for gross negligence. But, as long as the company doesn't do anything grossly negligent, liability should stop there and worst case is you lose all your computers....

That said, the real concern is not losing a lawsuit. The real concern is getting sued at all. Even if you have a slamdunk case that you're not liable, the cost to defend yourself in a lawsuit could break you - if you don't have decent liability insurance. And the cost of liability insurance to rent out any kind of scuba equipment probably makes it financially impractical to run a "casual" side business of renting out your computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom