AI with doubles (non-overhead)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is my BM setup. I use it in wreck penetrations. I am usually wearing thick wet gloves or dry gloves so having the transmitter down both protects it and decreases the chance I'll grab it when going for the center post. I still run an SPG for redundancy. I've had one transmitter fail on me before - recently - on a liveaboard and was glad I had the SPG until I could get home and diagnose the problem.
IMG_E5008.JPG

This is my BM setup. I've used it in many wreck penetrations. I am usually wearing thick wet gloves or dry gloves so having the transmitter down both protects it and decreases the chance I'll grab it when going for the center post. I still run an SPG for redundancy. I've had one transmitter fail on me before - recently - on a liveaboard and was glad I had the SPG until I could get home and diagnose the problem.View attachment 495457

Thanks for the pic! Hadn't put transmitter on regs yet to test things out. Apeks has a backorder on 5th port kits, and since I wasn't sure when they were going to be available (I have XTX50), I set things up without 5th port.

We usually have the right post regulator oriented the other way. Long hose connected to the turret and inflator to the 5th port. In that configuration HP ports are oriented suboptimally for connecting the transmitter directly. That is why I use a short HP hose.

Anyone here use AI with BM doubles? Question is for non-overhead diving, so no caves or wreck penetration.

When I mentioned to several local doubles divers that I wasn’t planning on giving up AI with doubles, I got eye rolls and “Are you nuts?”
I exclusively use AI with my BM doubles. No different than running a single SPG. Either have the possibility of failing. With proper gas planning, a failure of either is not a big deal.

I can definitely see the advantage with CCR.

Same here as some posters: AI on right post and SPG on left post then clipped to left hip D-ring.

not sure why people are so hung up about what side the spg is on ?... im more concerned that the hoses flow and are not obtrusive of the valves to do shut downs ... if someone started blasting another diver on a boat I was on I would stop that instantly , they way a person wants their gear (if safe ) is their business especially something piddley like what side the spg is on ....I get having both is adding failure points but if that's what they want so be it .

The reaction I got was so over the top,
I often dive AI with Sidemount and I don't use a B&G backup. I would have no issue doing the same with backmounted doubles. I find the whole eyeroll thing pretty arrogant on their part.

FWIW, I have no issues taking these into overhead environments.

Meh, do what you want. SPG on the right side is kludgy and less optimal, so throw the AI on the right post and keep the SPG on the left as standard.

The picture of the doubles posted above is wonky. Left reg should be rotated 90 anti clockwise with the 5th port pointed in. It allows the turret to swivel up with the long hose when donated, down when stowed normally. Aside from some regs with only one HP port, most will allow you to mount from the bottom facing HP port keeping the transmitter protected, or pointing an extra SPG down and streamlined.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom