BP/W Webbing Termination after Buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Two questions really and pardon the naivete, I'm putting together my first BP/W rig:

1. Do you fold the end of your webbing and pass it through the first hole in the buckle a second time? Or do you simply trim it underneath the buckle without looping it back? Note: this may not be relevant for all buckles.

2. Where do you cut your webbing, how or where is it terminated on the buckle side? If you leave a lot of slack after the buckle, how much is left?

Thanks.

David

1. if the first slot is double wide, it should go back through that slot.
2. It depends on how confident you have the thickest exposure protection you intend to have, and how confident you are that you won't gain weight ;-)

I usually leave about 6" and use a piece of innertube to hold it down.

..2. Where do you cut your webbing, how ..
Extra tip {literally}

Don't cut the open insertable side into a straight squared off cut. Make the cut a 90 degree arrow point shape tip then burn and smoosh the cut edges to stop fraying. This will help you grab the webbing when inserted into the buckle while putting on your gear with gloves. Or after a huge thanksgiving meal when you need an extra bit to grab.

I thread my buckle 'backwards' in that the excess goes behind the buckle (against my body) and not on the outside (away from my body).

Usually leave about 4-6" and cut the rest (melt the end of the webbing so it doesn't fray).

I have a trilobite cutter, and that sheath holds everything together (not really required if you thread the buckle backwards)

_R

It depends on how confident you have the thickest exposure protection you intend to have, and how confident you are that you won't gain weight ;-)
I screwed up on that one. I set up my harness and cut the webbing when I was using a pretty tight and slick neoprene DS. And then I went and bought a trilam with a nice, thick, warm undersuit... I wish I'd known about the inner tube trick for the end when I was setting up my wing.

My buckle has the classic three slots. The webbing goes from the topside down into the first slot, up through the second and down through the third. Then past the divide between the last two slots and up through the first underneath the long end.

image_2018-12-31_16-01.jpg

I screwed up on that one. I set up my harness and cut the webbing when I was using a pretty tight and slick neoprene DS. And then I went and bought a trilam with a nice, thick, warm undersuit... I wish I'd known about the inner tube trick for the end when I was setting up my wing.

My buckle has the classic three slots. The webbing goes from the topside down into the first slot, up through the second and down through the third. Then past the divide between the last two slots and up through the first underneath the long end.

View attachment 496680
I do it like that.

1. if the first slot is double wide, it should go back through that slot.
2. It depends on how confident you have the thickest exposure protection you intend to have, and how confident you are that you won't gain weight ;-)

I usually leave about 6" and use a piece of innertube to hold it down.

Love the inner tube idea. Was keeping it together with a rubber band but will switch it out.

I thread my buckle 'backwards' in that the excess goes behind the buckle (against my body) and not on the outside (away from my body).

Usually leave about 4-6" and cut the rest (melt the end of the webbing so it doesn't fray).

I have a trilobite cutter, and that sheath holds everything together (not really required if you thread the buckle backwards)

_R

Nice idea as well.

Having screwed up several times when I cut too short, I now don't cut until I have worn it at least 3 times with the thickest exposure protection and even then leave as much as I can secured with bike tubing or surgical tubing. Almost forgot, going home tonight and trim end at 90 degrees, Thanks

oh, of note. If you fit it correctly the first time, you can set the buckle itself to come all the way over to your right hip bone. If you do that, the length you leave on the right side is more important than the buckle. I NEVER change the webbing length at the buckle if I can help it. The only time it gets changed is if it has to get shortened.

My sizing procedure is basically wear it without any exposure protection and make sure I can still buckle it with the strap being sufficiently snug. The right side is the one that is going to be very long at that point as it has to at least go to the center of your body to meet the crotch strap for retention. If you size it like this, there is no need to touch the left side buckle webbing and all you have to do is loosen/tighten the shoulder straps. The end of that strap is under his wrist for reference and is held back with the knife sheath. It's a good securing mechanism on that side

Can see that here
crotchlength.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom