Dive guide communication problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one-handed signal for anchor according to the NACD (National Association of Cave Diving) is to start with the hand palm down and flex the index and middle fingers at the 2nd and 3rd joints while keeping the others fingers curled into the palm.

Thank you for the answer. That's good to know. However, I will really need to stick with a slate as my hands would never be able to do that. My left hand is mostly cadaver parts after a jerk mugger shot me and blew it to smithereens, and my right hand was had all my fingers snapped in a bicycle accident when I was leading a pace line. Oh yeah, and the ring fingers on both hands, well the knuckles bend the wrong way. Could you imagine how confusing that hand single would be to my fellow divers. LMAOROF!

The one-handed signal for anchor according to the NACD (National Association of Cave Diving) is to start with the hand palm down and flex the index and middle fingers at the 2nd and 3rd joints while keeping the others fingers curled into the palm.

If that no signal was used on most of the dives I have been on the recipient would respond with the following. The first and second fingers would be held extended with the tips apart, the other fingers curled. The back of the hand with the extended fingers pointing up would then be shown to the sender of the no signal, usually with a clearly noticeable up and down movement of the hand.
Another response to such a no signal could be: The hand forms a tube by slightly loosening a clenched fist. This hand is then moved back and forth of the forehead in gentle short arcs.

A problem of a slate on some of my dives is that the other divers do not speak any english.

Somehow my post which is as below got included thin the quote part

If that no signal was used on most of the dives I have been on the recipient would respond with the following. The first and second fingers would be held extended with the tips apart, the other fingers curled. The back of the hand with the extended fingers pointing up would then be shown to the sender of the no signal, usually with a clearly noticeable up and down movement of the hand.
Another response to such a no signal could be: The hand forms a tube by slightly loosening a clenched fist. This hand is then moved back and forth of the forehead in gentle short arcs.

A problem of a slate on some of my dives is that the other divers do not speak any english.

A friend of mine was leading a dive in the Red Sea and turned to me and my buddy to give us a complex 3 part hand signal which we didn't understand. It went like this:

1 conventional flat palm held up to recipient diver
2 left hand OK signal with index finger of right hand positioned in hole
3 flat palm facing down and moving in a circular motion

When we got back on the boat we asked him want he meant. The answer: Stop - F-ing - Around!

Needless to say it has become one of my favs

A friend of mine was leading a dive in the Red Sea and turned to me and my buddy to give us a complex 3 part hand signal which we didn't understand. It went like this:

When we got back on the boat we asked him want he meant. The answer: Stop - F-ing - Around!

Will have to remember that one for one of my buddies!

Excellent. My wife like that one.

See below in bold.

A slate is something I have considered and as they are cheap I will be getting one. I am not entirely happy however at the amount of "clutter" I now seem to be having to carry.
1) Computer compulsory on quite a few dives - I accept this - I cannot really see how this is clutter. A wrist mounted computer shouldn't get in the way. I can understand if it is a console mounted computer, but I'm not a fan of those.
2) Line cutter / knife compulsory on 2 dives I have done - You do not need a massive Crocodile Dundee knife. I have two small knives (approx 3" blade); one on my waist band and one fastened to my wrist with bungee.
3) Compass - As per computer
4) SMB & reel - I carry an SMB and finger spool, connected together so it is ready to deploy. It is small enough to fit in my pocket.
5) Torch - Your torch does not have to be massive. I have an umbilical torch for more challenging diving, but a small torch is easily carried by tying a boltsnap to the base. This can then be clipped to a chest D-ring. A piece of bungee can be tied around the shoulder strap of the BCD, below the D-ring, so the torch can be tucked beneath it when not needed.
I don't like stuff hanging off me and I don't like more than one item in a pocket, also I am already above the 15kg limit of some airlines.

They are all to pack when going on holiday. Changing rooms at dive centres are often quite crowded often with other people having bits of gear all over the place, it just seems you are always having to remember something or be on the lookout for not loosing it.
I look back with some fondness at my early kit free dives. Just BCD, regs, fins, boots and shorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom