Dive guide communication problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reverse example. Doing a night shore dive with a private guide in Greece. Part way through the dive as we started to head back she was right next to me so I moved over thinking I was crowding her. After about three times she finally got my attention. Wanted to air share. She took my alternate and we swam like that for awhile. Then she went back on her own tank. Talking afterwards I found out that she has accidentally grabbed the wrong tank which was only partly full. Figured as a typical tourist air hog it would be enough. When she realized the dive would be longer she was finally able to get my attention. Was a nice dive.

Reverse example. Doing a night shore dive with a private guide in Greece. Part way through the dive as we started to head back she was right next to me so I moved over thinking I was crowding her. After about three times she finally got my attention. Wanted to air share. She took my alternate and we swam like that for awhile. Then she went back on her own tank. Talking afterwards I found out that she has accidentally grabbed the wrong tank which was only partly full. Figured as a typical tourist air hog it would be enough. When she realized the dive would be longer she was finally able to get my attention. Was a nice dive.
You may recall my old story of in Panama when it was just me and the DM for 4 days. He signaled Air Share. I was trying to figure out why, since I was a DMC at the time back home and had asked him for some tips. Thought he may be checking me out on the skill, but it turned out the Capt. switched out his first tank for a 2nd one that was empty. They probably had done this hundreds of times so the DM didn't bother to check his own air. He thanked me for "saving his life". He was an excellent DM--guess it can happen to anybody given enough time and a little complacency.

You may recall my old story of in Panama when it was just me and the DM for 4 days. He signaled Air Share. I was trying to figure out why, since I was a DMC at the time back home and had asked him for some tips. Thought he may be checking me out on the skill, but it turned out the Capt. switched out his first tank for a 2nd one that was empty. They probably had done this hundreds of times so the DM didn't bother to check his own air. He thanked me for "saving his life". He was an excellent DM--guess it can happen to anybody given enough time and a little complacency.

It only happens to you once and then you NEVER forget to check your tank before splashing. Also, if ANYONE asks for air be of giving heart. If someone asks me for air, I'll give willingly all the while knowing that we will be surfacing soon because I am an air hog and barely have enough for me. :)

Cheers -

Always carry a slate.
This has emphatically solved all my U/W communication problems.

K

A slate is something I have considered and as they are cheap I will be getting one. I am not entirely happy however at the amount of "clutter" I now seem to be having to carry.
1) Computer compulsory on quite a few dives - I accept this
2) Line cutter / knife compulsory on 2 dives I have done
3) Compass
4) SMB & reel
5) Torch
I don't like stuff hanging off me and I don't like more than one item in a pocket, also I am already above the 15kg limit of some airlines.

I always have a wrist slate on my arm when I can't figure out a hand signal. A perfect example was two weeks ago, while taking two students on a brief dive, a good portion of the anchor at the Breakwater was exposed and I thought they would find it interesting. Not knowing how to let them know what they heck was in front of them I drew an anchor on my slate, pointed to the drawing then pointed to the anchor.

Is there a hand signal for an anchor?

I always have my slate too, if nothing else I make my dive notes on it which I then transfer to my log.

The one-handed signal for anchor according to the NACD (National Association of Cave Diving) is to start with the hand palm down and flex the index and middle fingers at the 2nd and 3rd joints while keeping the others fingers curled into the palm.

In response to the OP, using the same NACD hand signals, I would first raise the index finger with the other fingers curled into the palm and slowly move the finger back and forth. This signals "no" and looks the same as a parent might give to a young child. This should be followed by the signal for me and then immediately followed by a signal to dive at the current level. The signal for me is using the index finger and point it at yourself. Then extend your hand palm down and slowly slide your hand from side to side. When using this signal be careful not to rotate the hand at the wrist because that would be the signal for trouble. Finally, follow with the OK signal.

I would not use the low on air signal. I would reserve that signal for the situation when you are truly low on air and need to go to the safety stop or surface which is clearly not your situation.

I've found the NACD one-handed signals to be quite intuitive with the advantage that only one hand is needed, the other is free to hold a camera or adjust equipment. I might add that the signals are not just for cave divers. They can be used successfully for all types of diving. The booklet can be ordered online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom