Trip Report Diving with Blue Nation in Loreto Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was in Loreto for Thanksgiving 2018 and had a great time. I rented a car and went to the mission as well as inland to Constitution. We stayed at an Airbnb in town and had a great time ($40/day was a great price for an entire house). If you are thinking about Loreto, speaking Spanish is a plus if you are not staying downtown. This is definitely not like Cancun/Playa/Cozumel and Spanish will get you further. There are two "supermarkets" in town and they are great.

Our AirBnB hostess was kind enough to take us to Super Ley and for a mini-tour along the malecon. I commented to her (in Spanish, of course) that there were many more signs in English down there than further out so I concur with cavtrooper. Also, I'm sure it was much easier to get what I was looking for at the Ley store by knowing a little Spanish, especially after seeing one guy in particular walking away frustrated after trying to talk to an employee in English. If the "other" grocery store referred to is El Pescador I found their prices, in general, to be a little higher than at Super Ley, however it was a little more convenient to us so we did shop there a few times so it wasn't all that bad. They did want the equivalent of $4.50 US for a jar of salsa that I get here for $1.50 so I guess to them it was exotic, imported salsa from California USA. I mean, after all, we were still in California, just the Southern part :wink:

We also stayed in an AirBnB for around $40/night but it was only about a few blocks from the main highway 1 so we did a lot more walking than we expected. Unlike San Miguel, Cozumel I wouldn't hesitate to rent a car in Loreto.

If you are looking for world-class diving, then the Sea of Cortez should be seriously considered. And if you end up in Loreto then you must dive with Blue Nation. They are without question one of the best dive operators I have encountered anywhere in the world.

Great dive boat for a small party of divers.

Great Dive Master – Yago is super knowledgeable, with great safety consciousness and is wildly enthusiastic about all that the Sea of Cortez has to offer.

Monica made it very easy to arrange everything with clear and prompt communication throughout the process.

I went to Loreto this week, as a semi 'spur of the moment decision' solely on this recommendation, and I fully agree with all of the above statements.

I've dove with boats and guides that range from the mediocre (and worse) to the excellent, and Yago is the best I've had the pleasure of diving with. He's knowledgeable, enthusiastic, calm, safe, thoughtful and clearly highly skilled. I showed up with a brand new sidemount bcd that I'd not even had time to learn how to rig and he took the time to show me how to set it up, and got me trimmed and comfortable in it in just a couple of dives and was a wealth of information and advice.

But you forgot to mention the food... home made lunch... what dive boat ever sends you out with individual lunch boxes of delicious home made food (thank you Monica)???

I've already planned returning a couple of times this year to take an intro to tech course

Blue Nation and Loreto have been on my radar for a while. One problem is that I would be traveling alone. I hope I'm able to dive there one of these days. The operation sounds very good

I went there solo too, and it wasn't a problem. Yago lead the dives, and they were all small groups (4 divers total each day) so no issues with having to pair up with an unknown dive buddy.

I'd already booked a flight to Cabo, and only started looking at Loreto after I'd paid for the flight, so I rented a car and drove up which took a few hours and probably wasn't the best way to do it. Next time I'll fly direct to Loreto.

Water temps in late Feb were consistently 67F, which I found cold at the end of a 40 minute dive even in a 7mm plus hooded vest.

Thanks to all for your kind words. Winter conditions are sometimes tricky and we permanently worry about whether our divers would get the best out of the dives. I think we normally do :wink: But fear not! Devil ray season is round the corner and the increase of tempertures and low winds will come shortly as well :)

Heard the water was generally very cold there --- I.e. at a minimum a 5 mil and a 7 mil or dry suit would be better.

Thoughts?

Depends on the time of the year. We were there in August six years ago. Water temp was 85-87, topside 108. The next year we went in October, when water temp was 82. In the Spring and early Summer water temps can be upper 60-low 70s.

Loreto-- I got some good shells (dead) on the beach there in '93. Long before I was a diver.

Loreto-- I got some good shells (dead) on the beach there in '93. Long before I was a diver.

Now the National Park rules forbid any visitor to take any shells from the beach. Lucky you that you were there in the time where one could still collect some of those beauties :wink:

I just found some old Loreto Pictures from April 2007 - Wow! 22 year wedding anniversary trip. Am I really that Old? 34 years now and still going strong!
Danzante Island and thereabouts!
upload_2019-4-22_17-31-6.png

Back
Top Bottom