Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just looking online for instances where a ceramic line cutter failed or broke in use, I didn’t actually find a single instance where they were bested by a metal blade.

I know the classic charm of rusting steel is hard to part with, but could the guys touting the unreliability and fragile nature of ceramic blades please post a link to anything that supports this?

The only stuff I could find was about how feakin’ awesome ceramics are. I know this is the internet and stuff and opinions do not require data and all, but saying it is a bad idea or unsafe you need to give me something other than an opinion.
@Vicko
@Zef

Ceramic blades are pretty freakin' awesome until they chipor dull and can't be repaired....or repaired easily. Ceramic blades have hardness pretty close to the hardness of diamonds...they hold an edge for a good while, but are brittle. I have had ceramic kitchen knives so have first hand experience with this. It typically costs a lot of money to have a ceramic blade sharpened because of the material is unforgiving and one needs serious diamond files to do the sharpening. It is much cheaper to sharpen a metal blade. The brittleness of ceramic blades make them susceptible to cracking if dropped on a hard surface....so think about that if you toss your ceramic line cutter to your dive buddy prior to or after a dive, and also when tossing gear into your car post dive.

Yes, ceramic blades don't rust. Yes ceramic blades can retain an edge longer than a steel blade under similar use, but a ceramic blade chips much more readily and that chip can act as a stress riser that causes continued damage....this is not an issue with a steel blade.

If ceramic blades are what floats your boat then thats great...no worries on my part...I just wanted to add that one should be aware that ceramic blades have tendency to chip...that may not be factor that you need/want to consider but if you have to cut metal fishing line or netting that has the potential to cause some issues....though shears are much more suited for that type of entanglement hazard.

One other thing...just checked the cost on DGX...a pair of ceramic replacement blades are twice the cost of their metal cousins. They are not too expensive in the big picture of things but they are still more expensive.

Buy what suits your needs and your fancy.

-Z

ceramic blades don't rust. Yes ceramic blades can retain an edge longer than a steel blade under similar use, but a ceramic blade chips much more readily and that chip can act as a stress riser that causes continued damage....this is not an issue with a steel blade.
I'd never choose a ceramic blade for a cutting tool I'll use regularly. I'd much rather take the hassle of sharpening a decent steel blade (which I do regularly, albeit not quite as often as I should) than faffing with a spoiled, chipped ceramic blade.

For a tool I don't expect to use except in a critical situation, I think that ceramic is great. No maintenance, unlike steel.

That's actually a great point; since we're discussing Trilobites, we should touch on maintenance.

I've had mine for quite a while, with frequent diving, but have zero rust. When I get home, the Trilobite gets soaked in fresh water with everything else. After air drying, I open it up, remove the blade, and wipe down with some Alcohol to evaporate any leftover water. Then, here's the kicker, I apply a very light coat of silicon grease (same as used on o-rings). Not only will it not rust in the tropical environment here, but I imagine it creates a barrier to most seawater contact unless it is actually cutting (therefore removing the grease).

It only takes a few moments and a little maintenance goes a long way. :wink:

This is exactly what I do. My trilobite is around 4 years old now, and looks brand new. I've been through around 5 blades, but only because I use them so frequently. I also carry a blunt tip bfk, in case I have to pry or dig (and I have to do that quite a bit), and a smaller knife on my bc, just in case. I refuse to carry trauma shears, because I've used them too.

I picked up one of those ceramic trilobyte deals a few months back. Not much to say about it, seems to be sharp. My regular trilobyte worked fine, but it would rust up after a year or two and need a blade replacement. By the time I ran out of replacement blades that came with it, it was nasty and discolored so instead of buying more blades I got the ceramic. I have only used my trylobite (the metal one) a few times. In cave class, of course. Also, used it on a boat to trim a piece of webbing once, and I used it underwater once to cut a piece of gear that had too much line on it and got wrapped around someone.

I used a regular dive knife when I first started diving, but after accidentally dropping the third one I switched to trilobyte type cutters (and shears on bcd strap near tank.. very out of the way. The z-knife goes on my dive computer so it's easy access and not in my way.

I'd never choose a ceramic blade for a cutting tool I'll use regularly. I'd much rather take the hassle of sharpening a decent steel blade (which I do regularly, albeit not quite as often as I should) than faffing with a spoiled, chipped ceramic blade.

For a tool I don't expect to use except in a critical situation, I think that ceramic is great. No maintenance, unlike steel.

Thanks for sharing...It all comes down to personal choice....My original post on the matter was just to introduce information that one might want to consider. You have obviously already considered this type of information in your decision of what you buy and use. That's great. It does not make the info I posted less relevant.

-Z

It all comes down to personal choice
Quite. I just wanted to share the reason for my personal choice. Who knows, maybe someone, some time, might get something out of it. Or perhaps not, but at least I've had an excuse to pontificate. Again.

Ceramic blades are pretty freakin' awesome until they chipor dull and can't be repaired....or repaired easily. Ceramic blades have hardness pretty close to the hardness of diamonds...they hold an edge for a good while, but are brittle. I have had ceramic kitchen knives so have first hand experience with this. It typically costs a lot of money to have a ceramic blade sharpened because of the material is unforgiving and one needs serious diamond files to do the sharpening. It is much cheaper to sharpen a metal blade. The brittleness of ceramic blades make them susceptible to cracking if dropped on a hard surface....so think about that if you toss your ceramic line cutter to your dive buddy prior to or after a dive, and also when tossing gear into your car post dive.

Yes, ceramic blades don't rust. Yes ceramic blades can retain an edge longer than a steel blade under similar use, but a ceramic blade chips much more readily and that chip can act as a stress riser that causes continued damage....this is not an issue with a steel blade.

If ceramic blades are what floats your boat then thats great...no worries on my part...I just wanted to add that one should be aware that ceramic blades have tendency to chip...that may not be factor that you need/want to consider but if you have to cut metal fishing line or netting that has the potential to cause some issues....though shears are much more suited for that type of entanglement hazard.

One other thing...just checked the cost on DGX...a pair of ceramic replacement blades are twice the cost of their metal cousins. They are not too expensive in the big picture of things but they are still more expensive.

Buy what suits your needs and your fancy.

-Z
I said my personal recommendation was a ceramic line cutter. Longevity (no maintenance) and a blade that will remain sharp for emergency use virtually forever are the attractive features and why I made the recommendation. I am not sure how throwing or dropping a plastic and ceramic line cutter can break something whose weight is measured in grams. I also don’t see how any of this being tossed around would affect a ceramic line cutter in a way that a metal line cutter wouldn’t be. No line cutter will go through a steel leader. Not the right tool. Any linecutter will require a replacement blade if you sufficiently damage it.

The downside of a ceramic cutter is the damaged tool needs to be completely replaced when damaged. Metal blades need to be replaced or at least coated much more frequently, nothing wrong with that.

My issue is with the idea that a ceramic blade is inferior because they are fragile and can be destroyed by careless handling is a claim I would like to see supported with either an anecdote, article or demonstration. I am not saying the claim is wrong, but it needs to be supported.

I said my personal recommendation was a ceramic line cutter. Longevity (no maintenance) and a blade that will remain sharp for emergency use virtually forever are the attractive features and why I made the recommendation. I am not sure how throwing or dropping a plastic and ceramic line cutter can break something whose weight is measured in grams. I also don’t see how any of this being tossed around would affect a ceramic line cutter in a way that a metal line cutter wouldn’t be. No line cutter will go through a steel leader. Not the right tool. Any linecutter will require a replacement blade if you sufficiently damage it.

The downside of a ceramic cutter is the damaged tool needs to be completely replaced when damaged. Metal blades need to be replaced or at least coated much more frequently, nothing wrong with that.

My issue is with the idea that a ceramic blade is inferior because they are fragile and can be destroyed by careless handling is a claim I would like to see supported with either an anecdote, article or demonstration. I am not saying the claim is wrong, but it needs to be supported.

I never stated they were inferior...but they are more fragile...that is just the physical properties of the material. As already posted in a previous response to Storker:

"It all comes down to personal choice....My original post on the matter was just to introduce information that one might want to consider. You have obviously already considered this type of information in your decision of what you buy and use. That's great. It does not make the info I posted less relevant."

My personal experience with ceramic kitchen knives was less than stellar and I feel that they don't live up to the hype. That has been considered in the rational calculus that I have employed in making my decision to go with trilobite cutters with metal blades as opposed to a model with ceramic blades like the DGX. If you find ceramic blades durable enough for the purposes you use them for then great...I will not tell you that you made anything but a good decision...its just not the decision I would make...and I hope you can be as ok with that as I am ok with your decision to buy a ceramic bladed tool.

Cheers,
-Z

If you find ceramic blades durable enough for the purposes you use them for then great...
I for one most definitely do. I guess it's some two years since I bought my ceramic trilobite, and it still hasn't been used in anger. I've tested it a few times, but otherwise it has lead a fairly eventless life on my shoulder strap. And if the blade should chip, i have a couple replacement blades in my save-a-dive kit. My 6" calf-mounted knife or my 2" waistband-mounted knife on the other hand, have been used a bit more than that.

But then I pull out my grindstone occasionally and add my diving knives to the stack of knives needing some serious TLC. Pure Zen, if you ask me.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom