Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Few things are as predictable as mask position when it comes to this board. In a way is almost reassuring to know that every X months the subject will come up.

I specially enjoy the people that consider "the other poster" closed minded because they don't agree with their mask location.

How about you put mask wherever you want?
If you see someone with their mask on the "wrong" location keep your opinion to yourself. Don't pretend to justify your intrusion thinking is to "save" them from losing the mask. Most likely they already know, is not like you have to replace their mask in that scenario you're so sure about.

Dive your gear the way you like and let others do their thing. It works great that way.

You're definitely going to die. I don't really use suicide clips because I had one get stuck open and I lost the light that was attached to it.

Hey have you ever seen one of these? Amazon.com: Scuba Choice Scuba Diving BC Fin and Mask Keeper with Quick Release Loop Lanyard, Black: Sports & Outdoors @mermaid0sea gave me one a couple years ago. Simple, but easy and effective storage of mask and fins when walking/swimming to your dive site from the shore. One of the better miscellaneous junk items that dive shops might have pinned to the wall.

I'm kind of bummed that people get trained to store their mask around their neck. I thought I had been clever and figured something out on my own.

I actually have seen those keepers, and I also considered a bolt snap, but suicide clips are just more convenient, especially as I am wearing thick gloves. But I appreciate the suggestion.

And in response to a previous inquiry, I do have a neoprene strap (appreciate the suggestion), but MOF & MOB is still annoying. Alot of the annoyance is Im constantly afraid I will lose the mask while surface swimming (and my oblivious a$$ wont notice it gone, esp w the hood)

Dont want to turn this MOF thread into a suicide clip thread, but Im willing to take on the very small risk of a suicide clip on my chest, where I can easily release myself from anything I can get hooked on. Not that there's much I can get hooked on in my shore dives. I suppose a kelp strand is a possibility. And maybe the Breakwater anglers will hook me via my clip, that could be an issue. However, the convenience of easily securing my mask without annoyance is worth it to me.

I suppose I can take the suicide clip off if Im boat diving, where the risk is greater, and I wont have the long surface swim that necessitates mask stowage.

Dont want to turn this MOF thread into a suicide clip thread, but Im willing to take on the very small risk of a suicide clip on my chest, where I can easily release myself from anything I can get hooked on.
Honestly, what are the advantages of using a (suicide) clip over using a boltsnap or a double ender?

As I've never realized any advantage of using a (suicide) clip, I haven't seen any reason not to use a boltsnap or a double ender instead.

Honestly, what are the advantages of using a (suicide) clip over using a boltsnap or a double ender?

As I've never realized any advantage of using a (suicide) clip, I haven't seen any reason not to use a boltsnap or a double ender instead.

Its just a bit easier when wearing thick gloves, and can be done w one hand. Saves me a bit of fumbling, convenience. Thats it. NBD, if the scuba police outlawed suicide clips, I could fairly easily adapt to boltsnaps or that fin keeper thing.

But I believe there are similarly long suicide clip threads here, we may want to only beat one dead horse at a time.

Without your meta post, it would have been one less...

... and without your response to my meta post it would have been less... and without this response to your response it would have been less and ..... :surrender:

... and without your response to my meta post it would have been less... and without this response to your response it would have been less and ..... :surrender:

Here is what you said:

"Wow... almost 80 posts in less than 24 hours on the hot-button topic of how to wear a mask. Impressive. SB is on its "A" game today."

I'm not the one objecting to the thread with a snarky post about how the OPs point was unworthy of discussion, and about how there were too many comments.

I mean seriously, what's the point of a statement like this? Do you ever go into a pub where people are having fun chatting about something and say "Hey! What you are talking about is unimportant, and you shouldn't talk so much about it"...?

I just have it around my neck with the strap at the back. I don’t like wearing the mask on my forehead backwards - I like to minimize me getting knocked over and dropping/breaking it accidentally. I feel it’s more secure on the neck.

I also feel this is by far the most secure way to not lose your mask when it's off. Just push it down around the neck. There's still the risk of derping and letting it slip while putting the mask backwards on your forehead. Pushing it down around your neck removes this problem. Another human failure point gone.

Really expect me to read 11 pages of this? SMDH
Hi wildbill9,

No we don't expect you to read 11 pages of this. A solution for your boredom or anger is to: "Just Walk Away."

My life is so much better when I live by that creed.

cheers,
m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom