Crotch Strap, trainable equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not everyone dives with integrated ballast. Many, myself included dive with a rubber weight belt with hard lead as it makes it easier to remove your rig at depth and not float away from the BC. Also it makes the rig lighter for the guys who pull rigs over the gunwale. Nevertheless, if you accidentally put the crotch strap over your weight belt you've captured the weight belt and would need to unbuckle the crotch strap first. In an emergency on the surface a diver may not have the mental wherewithal to do that. Conversely, with the belt over your crotch strap you may have to remove the weight belt first to take off your rig.

For all the aforementioned reasons I personally ditched the crotch strap on my rig and have not noticed any negative effects.
making this mistake and having your lead weights pull on your crotch strap is going to give you one hell of a wedgie.you will never make that mistake twice

making this mistake and having your lead weights pull on your crotch strap is going to give you one hell of a wedgie.you will never make that mistake twice
Unfortunately a new diver struggling on the surface may not have the opportunity to make that mistake twice.

Skill 1 - perfect the hip sway whilst simultaneously reaching between legs.

Skill 2 - assist buddy to donn crotch strap whilst trying not to make contact with naughty bits. Lewd comments are encouraged to make light of potentially awkward situation.

Skill 3 - correctly adjust crotch strap. If the result resembles a cheese wire through an Edam, it may be too tight.

Don't think I'm missing anything am I? Distinctive Specialty Course on its way!

Skill 2 - assist buddy to donn crotch strap whilst trying not to make contact with naughty bits. Lewd comments are encouraged to make light of potentially awkward situation.

My favorite one is "While you are down there..."

Skill 3 - correctly adjust crotch strap. If the result resembles a cheese wire through an Edam, it may be too tight.

Yeah, don't make eye contact either...

@Graeme Fraser

It came from France
From JY Cousteau
Arrived in the US in 1948..(read Dougan's article--About "Cousteau Divers".

When the original SCUBA units aka Aqua Lungs arrived in the US in 1948- over 70 years ago all were equipment with a crouch strap and crouch strap has remained in the SCUBA diver's armentarium as a diving equipment standard for over 70 years. Some divers need it and use a crotch strap - others do not need a crotch strap but their units are equipped with a crotch strap and they use a crouch strap , others such as uniformed fuzzy faced "instructor" are baffled with this original item of diving equipment and they apparently need additional training to snap and unsnap a modern crouch strap.

You should rejoice in the fact that the renowned English expert Sir Robert Davis and/or the popular English dive manufacturing company Seibe- Gorman were not initially involved in the crouch strap

SDM

on number 2 while buddy is reaching down to help with crotch strap .do not i repeat do not run your fingers through their hair .so so awkward

Ok all, I was hoping to have 2 or 3 replies. Instead I got a Feature Film Comedy. I thank you, work has sucked today and I needed this.

Couple years ago, we had a thread you do not know what you do not know. I am not an instructor so I do not know these rules.

I guess someday I just need to go to ITC. I just hate teaching Physics.

on number 2 while buddy is reaching down to help with crotch strap .do not i repeat do not run your fingers through their hair .so so awkward

:funnypost:

Laughed till snot came out of my nose!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom