Elderly woman lost off Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving and age is always a touchy subject. I will say that, as our dive shop plans trips 2-3 years out and spouse and I are headed to 70 years old sooner rather than later, we have started having the more frequent discussion about age and diving. Not about quitting diving, but about where and how. We have already lessened the "same ocean buddy" routine and make sure our eyes can be on each other always. We are contemplating future trips for currents and difficulty of access, etc. It's really strong down currents we now worry about. We hope to dive as long as physically and mentally able, but are trying to be realistic about how, where and when. Posts here frequently say, "that's the way I want to go". Well, if it's my time anyway, sure. If it's not my time, then I'd rather it not be because I dove beyond my physical and mental abilities at the time. There's always hiking, which are more and more becoming 3-4 hour walks rather than strenuous hikes. As we all do, I feel very bad for all involved.

Rob

Agree with you, Shasta_Man. Embellished to make a point. In 29 years of diving together, we were always in good proximity. Now, it's just closer and more visual.
I know it's not the way either I or my spouse want each other to go, either.

Rob

No offense meant to you Peeweediver and I was generally agreeing with you. In making my post as brief as possible in this millenial world,my meaning could be taken the wrong way.

My first sentence was adding to your "the way people want to go" sentiment with the sometimes forgotten point that the people with the deceased diver probably aren't OK with that idea.

You have already thought about the same ocean buddy method, but I wanted to provoke that thought in the whole range of divers. After swimming around in high currents in Indonesia, Fiji, etc, where if I was downcurrent from my buddy, I could be pretty close but still be unable to get there quickly. I've seen a large proportion of divers, photogs and vacation divers, being pretty cavalier about their need for air and wandering all over with no pony, etc. Like all accidents, it all seems a remote possibility until it happens.

Was on the wreck she was lost on 2 days after the accident. There was a significant current on the surface and the bottom visibility was 20 to 30 feet at best. Sand on side of wreck was about 110’ and you could get to about 115’ by going into the cargo holes. Not a big wreck either with markers at bow and stern. Pretty easy dive for experienced person. Just my observations

What dive site was she on when she went missing?

What dive site was she on when she went missing?

Sounds like the Adolphus Busch. Pretty benign wreck, but the currents and vis can get nasty.

She was on Sand Key reef, a few miles out of Key West. Relatively shallow dive. 73 year old woman. Never found. If you're questioning age and fitness for diving (as I do), perhaps a physical with a DAN recommended physician might help ease or confirm your concerns. DAN has a free medical information hotline (available business hours, east coast weekdays). Give them a call (I dont have the number at hand but available online).

Another woman was lost off Summerland Key (lower Keys, vicinity of Busch). May 7th. Never found.

Yeah, age is just a number. I don’t put too much stock in the fact that this poor tragedy involved a senior, until I hear how it is age related. I am going to be 70 this summer, and I just got my open water certification this year. Sure, I know my limits as a newbie, and I’m most interested in shallow dives to see the ecology. I’m diving with a dive master for my first dozen or so dives. But I don’t feel old, or at risk because of my age.
Tragedies happen, and it’s always unfortunate to hear stories like this. Dying in the water in an accident would not be my choice of a good way to leave this world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom