BP/W Fit and Position Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H311C@

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been certified for 19 years, but just getting back into diving after only 20 dives and a 16 year hiatus. I am currently working on rigging my first BP/W setup from Dive Gear Express. I've read multiple posts / websites on assembly and position. They each reference these 3 points: 1. Be able to touch the top of the plate over your shoulder. 2. Adjust the shoulder strap tension to allow a fist width of slack. 3. Position the waist belt at or below your navel.

I'm 6'3, 260 lbs, long in the torso, and I'm unable to achieve all three of these at the same time. I am currently test fitting this without a tank attached. What feels the most comfortable is with the plate high enough to touch it, but in doing so I do not have the suggested shoulder slack and the waist belt is above my navel. If I loosen the shoulder straps to achieve clearance for a fist and get waist belt at/below my navel, then the plate feels too low and is around 4 inches beyond my reach over the shoulder. It doesn't appear that anyone is making tall plates these days either. Any suggestions on what is most important and how to best position the backplate?

I greatly appreciate any insight.

My body shape is similar.

I would suggest loosening the shoulder straps somewhat. It may take some experimenting in the water to get it exactly the way you want it, that is, by adjusting it a little after each dive until it's really right.

Getting the tank positioning and your head-to-toe trim right is also part of the setup. The adjustments are interrelated.

I’ve never been able to touch the top of my plate, even when it’s adjusted correctly. I wouldn’t sweat it.

I'm about your size and unfortunately you won't be able to achieve that with a normal back plate.

with single tanks, the backplate positioning is based on comfort and preference. With doubles, you are much more restricted because the band height is typically fixed so you have to make sure the plate is up high enough that you can reach the valves. For you right now, you are best off getting the backplate where it is comfortable for you to wear and get into and out of.

I'm 6'1 and I can't have both #1 and #3 at the same time either. The other issue is hitting the back of you head on the 1st stage: you may find that with tank attached, in the water, #1 is too high anyway.

Are any of the soft backplates longer than the hard backplates?

As long as the first stage doesn't hit me in the back of the head and the tank is comfortable and secure I figure everything's OK. The fitting tips are guidelines and not rules. You need to see how everything feels in the water. That the waist strap should ride at or below the naval doesn't seem correct.

As others have alluded to, compromise is sometimes unavoidable. For example, short guys like me have to learn to deal with the first stage being right behind the head, otherwise the tank will be too low for proper trim.

I would say it's more important that you can reach your valve/valves than the top of the plate, which is a lot easier than touching the top of the plate.

Back
Top Bottom