Do you carry a backup SPG to your AI computer? If so- check this out.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's about when it happened to me. Kind of disconcerting at first.

It's sort of a feeling of loss of control or function.. almost anxiety producing, isn't it?.. when you suddenly can't focus on something close up unless you squint and move things further away. I totally get it. :cool:

The only temporary treatment for it is denial. Some people can self medicate for years. When they finally get that first pair of reading glasses it's like they're seeing their computer or reading in high def for the first time. "Doc everything is SO CLEAR! Why did I wait so Long??".

The other not mentioned advantage to this type of setup is by moving the spg up,you lower the chances of your spg being crushed by an errant tank.

I don't see the need for an SPG with AI doing no stop diving, unless you're pushing recommended rec. depth limits, but just a tip...

IMO, you could just put a period after the word "AI".

I have AI transmitters on my single tank reg set, my doubles reg set, and my CCR 1st stages. No SPGs or button gauges on any of them.

I used to have button gauges on the OC regs, but got rid of them. Now I am forced to turn on my computer when I assemble my rig, which has several benefits. I can't forget my computer. I make sure my computer is working. I make sure my AI is working.

I have an actual tank pressure checker to use for times other than when I am assembling a rig in prep for diving.

Do you know.. I was going to list the places I got them but figured the post was long enough, so I was going to wait until somebody asked. And that's you!

If you are going to use button gauges, the DGX ones are good quality and less expensive ($15).

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

I'm not really seeing that. (Pun intended).

Here's a side by side comparison, my old vs new gauge. There's a lot of "dead white space" on the large gauge. On the smaller button, I have no problem seeing the needle and the increments between the 1000 marks- the accuracy difference will be negligible as will the readability in the rare case I might need it some day in the event of a failure of my AI computer.

When I was still using SPGs, I ended up using a shorter hose and routing my SPG over my left shoulder, so that the gauge was just above where the power inflator assembly started. Usually, I could read it without even touching it. You can get a much more compact SPG than the one in your picture.

Having an SPG at all, when you have AI, is just many extra failure points for no good reason. Adding that 90 degree adapter just makes it worse. In my opinion, of course. Plus, the 90 degree adapter still has to be rotated so the button gauge is pointed the right direction in order for you to read it. A compact regular SPG would probably be better, in this regard, I think.

If you didn't have AI, would you dive with 2 SPGs on your rig? Probably not. If you don't need redundant SPGs, then why does the fact that your SPG is a wireless transmitter suddenly mean that you do?

Also, for backup to my AI, I carry a backup AI transmitter. They have gotten cheap enough now, on the used market that I think this option should be feasible for most people who can afford to go AI in the first place.

If you are going to use button gauges, the DGX ones are good quality and less expensive ($15).

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face

You can get a much more compact SPG than the one in your picture.

If you look back in the thread I posted a picture of 3 different gauges, the one you recommend is one of them. The one I put on my rig is the same size.

If you didn't have AI, would you dive with 2 SPGs on your rig? Probably not. If you don't need redundant SPGs, then why does the fact that your SPG is a wireless transmitter suddenly mean that you do?

Because dive computers are more prone to failure than an SPG? They're a lot more complicated and they've got a failure point at the battery compartment- I've had one flood which is what prompted me to get a backup dive pc and the spg- which is probably overkill but as I've said I like the quick SPG predive check.

Also, for backup to my AI, I carry a backup AI transmitter.

I do too- in my spare parts bag.

Because dive computers are more prone to failure than an SPG?
I've seen a lot more SPG spools fail than dive computers. And I've seen a lot of SPGs reading 200-600 psi when not even attached to a tank. Sure, take care of the spool and all is fine. But people don't so that...they wait for it to fail. It is kinda like waiting for an avocado to ripen....not yet, not yet, not yet, NOW, too late.

If you look back in the thread I posted a picture of 3 different gauges, the one you recommend is one of them. The one I put on my rig is the same size.

You only mentioned eBay and none of the ones in your post was as low as $15. That's why I mentioned the DGX one.

Because dive computers are more prone to failure than an SPG?

I've had at least 2 (that I can think of) SPG failures. And when they fail, the results that I have had are loss of gas. I have not had an AI transmitter fail. And if the battery were to die, at least I wouldn't be losing gas.

My only points are that, TO ME, a single SPG is higher risk than a single AI transmitter. Way higher risk of losing gas and higher risk of not working (or not working correctly).

And, that they are both reliable enough to not merit having a redundant one on my reg set. If my SPG (physical or hoseless electronic) fails (and I'm not losing gas as a result), it's not an emergency. Depending on the dive, it MIGHT not even be a reason to end the dive early. (you do maintain a general awareness of how much gas you have, at all times, right? And how much you need in order to complete your dive per your plan?) Like I said, in my opinion, a redundant physical SPG on a reg set adds many more failure points and the benefit does not come close to outweighing the potential problems.

Again, that is just my opinion. But, it would surely suck to have to end a dive early just because your redundant SPG started leaking gas....

Back
Top Bottom