Does the body get better at removing nitrogen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoistNeoprene

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My question is whether or not the human body improves it's ability to remove excess nitrogen from the body, and/or function under increased nitrogen load, as a diver becomes increasingly experienced.

The reason I ask is merely out of curiosity, because the human body is so amazing at adapting to various situations through training. Diving can be exhausting, and I think one can feel some physical toll of a higher nitrogen load, even if they remain within recreational levels. But, does a highly experienced diver experience this to a lesser degree? Could it even be possible that, as a diver becomes more experienced, their dives could be extended?

I am not asking because I intend to push limits, and I don't think that would be a good idea. Obviously, dive tables and computers do not factor in experience level of the diver, and that's probably for the best. However, I'm just curious from a human physiology perspective

...Does the body get better at removing nitrogen?.

I'll carefully word this answer........
On some days your body does better and on different days your body gets worse at removing nitrogen. That's why sometimes your computer can be in the 'green' and you still get an undeserved 'hit'.

The most important thing to understand is that all the computers are just using computer models. They aren't actually measuring EVERY SINGLE THING in your body. The best tool is sitting right on your shoulders !!

Maybe, but not by magic. I suspect anything you do to improve cardiovascular fitness and lung function will speed the rate at which you off-gas nitrogen. Lowering body fat should help as well.

I think, could be wrong, that nitrogen dynamics are governed entirely by simple diffusion, not some sort of physiological pumping mechanism.

That said, you might acclimate to the narcotic effect of nitrogen.

I'll carefully word this answer........
On some days your body does better and on different days your body gets worse at removing nitrogen. That's why sometimes your computer can be in the 'green' and you still get an undeserved 'hit'.

The most important thing to understand is that all the computers are just using computer models. They aren't actually measuring EVERY SINGLE THING in your body. The best tool is sitting right on your shoulders !!

I agree with every thing you said in your carefully worded answer, but it still doesn't address the question: is there any evidence that the bodies of experienced divers, on average, tend to be faster at removing nitrogen than the bodies of less experienced divers?

I agree with every thing you said in your carefully worded answer, but it still doesn't address the question: is there any evidence that the bodies of experienced divers, on average, tend to be faster at removing nitrogen than the bodies of less experienced divers?
My uneducated guess would be absolutely no--And that nobody has studied this. I could be wrong. Maybe it's akin to why locals tend to adapt to water temperatures better than visitors to the area? Or why "Deep" divers may be less at risk for narcosis?

This is just off the top of my head, but what about divers who have had a DCS hit possibly being more susceptible to more (possibly undeserved) hits?

I also think @TMHeimer has a good question about deep divers tolerating Narcosis better. But I think that might be more related to experience and awareness than to the body actually adapting. (Think like a heavy drinker who is drunk, but better at managing and compensating than a less experienced drinker.)

At any rate, as much as DCS had been studied, it still remains to be a very personalized topic. The "rules" are set to be as safe as possible for as many people as possible, but there will always be outliers in the data....

The reason I ask is merely out of curiosity, because the human body is so amazing at adapting to various situations through training. Diving can be exhausting, and I think one can feel some physical toll of a higher nitrogen load, even if they remain within recreational levels. But, does a highly experienced diver experience this to a lesser degree? Could it even be possible that, as a diver becomes more experienced, their dives could be extended?

To answer that specific part of your post, as you get more experienced, you definately don't get as tired from diving. I think it's a combination of better breathing, better buoyancy, more controlled ascents, and basically using less energy to do the same things.

I used to be totally shattered after two dives, these days 4 or even 5 dives have been done in a day with less physical stress and after affects.

But no, I don't believe you can become at all more immune to DCS due over time.

I would love to see an actual study on this, but I think it's mostly wishful thinking. However, I think that I've learned how to ameliorate and even avoid N2 issues over the years.

• Go slow. I have had students mention that I'm the laziest diver in the water. It helps with your SAC as well as feelings of being tired.
  • Avoid undue stressors.
    • Remember the five rules of handling currents
      • Dodge
      • Dip
      • Dive
      • Duck
      • Dodge
    • Stay hydrated
    • Eat well
    • Get enough rest
    • Drink responsibly
    • Avoid temperature extremes
    • Avoid rushing by being prepared
  • Avoid wild depth swings. Get neutral and avoid those saw-tooth dive profiles
  • Ascend slowly. This can be a function of gas management and/or SAC.
  • Do a full five minute safety stop. As long as I have enough air, nothing affects my after dive feels like getting in five minutes or longer on my safety stop. The closer I get to my NDL, the more important this becomes. FWIW, I always have enough air.
  • Don't dive impaired or unwell! Learn to call your dive, even before you get out of bed!

It’s a bit like asking if experienced skiers are more resistant to the force of gravity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom