Boogyman Effect

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still freak out when a big old Harbor Seal materializes out of the murk and into my peripheral vision. They sneak up on you really fast and get right in your face. Very friendly creatures but seeing something my size suddenly appear makes the old ticker skip a beat or two. :) M
Yeah size really matters, and worse is low viz. The largest thing(s) I've seen so far were average sized Southern Stingrays. Anything anywhere close to my size I can do without (or observe in an aquarium). I don't care about not being on their menu or that my chances of death by dog or falling coconut are far greater.

I can't believe you're going to leave us (me, at least) hanging on this one....
Well ok.
Delgada Submarine Canyon - Wikipedia
I tried to look for an underwater map of the typography but couldn’t find it. You just have to use your imagination.
So anyway, back in 2001-02? I was scanning an old US geologic survey map of any radical terrain, canyons, pinnacles, etc. off the Northern California Coast, part of the crazy adventure dives we were into at the time. We wanted to dive places nobody had ever been to.
We stumbled upon the Delgada Canyon and saw that it came right up to shore. So I assembled three other guys and we mounted an expedition.
Mind you, this place is up on the lost coast which is pretty much considered the middle of bum f_ck nowhere. It took 4 hour driving to get up to Shelter Cove then it’s another 8 miles north by boat from there.
We did 4 dives over two days. It took us a bit to find it but we found it. About four hundred feet off the beach we were in 300’ of water. Day one we explored the south side. The water was completely bloomed out. Vis on top was about 3-5 feet. As we went down it cleared up to about 30’ vis but it was black as night. The south side was a very steep mud slope with some rocks jutting out that were covered in white plumose metridium anemones. There were also monster scallops.
The second day was the butt pucker dive. We did the north side this time. Anchored in the mud right at the edge of the drop off. Following the anchor line down it got blacker and blacker until it was pitch black at 60’ where the anchor was. We all had ok lights but not can lights. We compassed down the slope to about 70’ where there was a grouping of rocks all covered with more giant metridiums. We went over the edge of the rocks and realized on the other side it was a sheer drop, Pitch black, no way to reference yourself to anything. Trying to keep track of your buddy by feel and an occasional glimmer of his light, we descended further and further down into the blackness. Situational awareness is very difficult when your light doesn’t light anything because there’s nothing to light up, no bottom. The wall and our instruments were all we had to use as reference. Vis cleared up the deeper we went and we stopped along the wall a few times to regroup and let the adrenaline and nerves calm down. I was pulling reel line the whole time from the anchor so we were not going to get lost. But someplace that remote in pitch black with no practical bottom and an overwhelming feeling about the unknown was freaky. There were several small shelves that stuck out from the wall and every one of them was crawling with spot shrimp. I saw some weird fish on that dive, some deep water fish with lanterns that didn’t belong there.
I think we got about 125’ or so, we were on 32%.
The other two guys went a different way and they were on mix. They actually got pretty close to the bottom but their MOD stopped them. They also reported seeing some pretty weird stuff past 200’.

Later a fisherman we ran into at Shelter Cove told us there are sharks there in abundance. They cruise up the trench and come right up to shore where the trench starts.
People see them all the time, they come right up along side their boats.
The two days we were there the fog was thick, laying right down on the water, and the ocean was glass smooth. This was in September.

I want internet surfing but didn't get anything. I looked through my Gazetteer of Undersea Features from '69, and found Delgata Canyon is at 40 02 N 124 10W. If anyone has a chart of the area please post it. My charts don't go up that far.

Bob

I learned to dive off New Jersey back in the 80's. Doing a safety stop during a night dive I had a pretty nice Ikelite dive light at the time and was shining it around me in maybe 10 ft vis. Saw a flash of a giant tail as some sort of shark I believe finned away from me as my light was going to light him up.

Off Jacksonville FL I was 40 miles out or so and the boat had put the anchor line on a buoy and went to pick up a diver. I had a remora swimming around me, trying to attach to my bc. He did this a few times and I thought it was pretty funny. Surfaced as the boat approached with everyone looking at me. Swam up to the boat and people were saying "Did you see it! Did you see it!". I said see what. "There was like a 10 ft hammerhead circling around you!".

Back then my balls were a lot bigger.

Jason

I guess diving over the deep doesn't bug me. The wall off of Cayman Brac is pretty deep, like well over a 1000 feet. One person said it's more like 5000. When getting on the boat my small light I keep for looking into holes got dropped. I wondered how far it went before it imploded. Diving there fine.

Did the Pelagic Magic black water dive near Kona. We were tethered on drop lines under the boat with a sea anchor deployed at night. Water was about 3000 feet deep or so. Maintaining neutral buoyancy with limited visual reference is trickier than I thought it would be.

When I first started diving I thought sharks would bother me but none have so far. When I finally saw my first, and only so far, 10 foot tiger shark in Hawaii I was too amazed to be nervous and then she was gone.

I
Did the Pelagic Magic black water dive near Kona. We were tethered on drop lines under the boat with a sea anchor deployed at night. Water was about 3000 feet deep or so. Maintaining neutral buoyancy with limited visual reference is trickier than I thought it would be.

When you say "tethered" do you mean that you are physically hooked onto a line? I'm sitting here wondering why, if that is so, neutral buoyancy is important. I'd think being a little negative would work, as long as you don't become unhooked :wink:

Apparently my girlfriend can't do night dives. She jumped off the boat to do the manta ray night dive and couldn't tell up from down. After giving her a few minutes to become oriented the DM and I grabbed her and put her back on the boat. She did the snorkel version so I guess she's OK if floating on the surface.

I agree with what @JamesBon92007 queried. The link mentions about helping with neutral buoyancy, but don't know why a diver can't be a tad bit heavy in this situation.

It may be written for divers that are more than a tad heavy, but they are not going to take anyone's word on their weighting, considering the conditions being dived it sounds reasonable to me.

Bob

When you say "tethered" do you mean that you are physically hooked onto a line? I'm sitting here wondering why, if that is so, neutral buoyancy is important. I'd think being a little negative would work, as long as you don't become unhooked :wink:

If you're negative and hanging at the end of a tether below a boat, I imagine you'd be getting yanked around quite unpleasantly if the boat is bouncing up and down on the surface. Might be ok in very calm conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom