BP/W in warm water without wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STA is not needed since the VDH wings have integrated roll control built into them. You will need two cam straps and two assembly screws (sex bolts) to complete the setup.

Why do you need the 2 assembly screws? I use one at the top of mine, but not the bottom. And this is mostly just to avoid it flopping over when no tank is mounted. The cam bands and the tank will keep the wing right next to plate.

Am I missing something or personal preference?

Why do you need the 2 assembly screws? I use one at the top of mine, but not the bottom. And this is mostly just to avoid it flopping over when no tank is mounted. The cam bands and the tank will keep the wing right next to plate.

Am I missing something or personal preference?

Some wings come with extra long slots so that they can be used with a variety of plates. There is no standard for slot spacing with backplates. However the holes on the back of the backplate do have standard spacing so using the holes keeps the wing positioned properly on the plate. I would assume one screw would work but I use 2 because that is how DGX sells them.

I've owned the diverite transpac I liked the soft back plate in it. I did find that the wing always lifted up on my bottom end. I fixed this with a crotch strap and never had an issue after. what I didn't like was trying to get trimmed out properly was a pain always had to strap a weight on the tank bands (among some other issues that was related to me more then the system) thus I traded it in.
I now have the scubapro litehawk. This is a soft back plate which I really like. The really nice thing is it has 2 trim pockets on the shoulders either side for really getting your trim just perfect. The bonus part is it's lite for travel and packs great. I've dove this with every weight of suite from full 7mm ( live in southern Ontario and I dive 8 to 10 months a year) down to just bathing suit (I own 3mm full 1.5mm shorty and a skin and have dove in all of them) I find this to be so comfortable I forget I have one on. I still use the crotch strap as I like the fact it stays down on my butt. My dive buddy has the same type of setup but doesn't use the crotch strap and he is fine.
I have dove or tried 4 or 5 each style BCD from jacket to BP/W and found the soft plate and wing the best for me. Like others have said if you can get into a pool and try some of them out you'll find the one you like.
Cheers happy diving

Give up and buy more right?

Give up and buy the one you think you need now, knowing full well that you'll be buying more soon.

If it's any consolation, it's not different from anything you tinker with. E.g. I need to buy more parts for my bicycle. And another video card for my game computer. And it never ends...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom