OOA after only a few minutes with a full tank at 17m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's actually pretty easy for someone to turn the valve the wrong way before a dive.

If you're standing on the left side of someone just before they jump in, and you reach across the tank and turn the valve counterclockwise (from your position), you are closing the valve.
Oh come on, don't touch someone's valve unless they specifically ask you to. The valve turn is from the perspective of the valve, as @Storker said, much experience with a screwdriver? I'll pass on you as a buddy.

My wife still gets confused sometimes and more than once has asked me how I always know which way to

I blame those modern (fancy) kitchen / shower faucets, where you just lift the handles to turn on (and mix) the cold & hot water, instead of the good-old turn knobs, for getting them confused about turning on the water by turning the knob counter clockwise.

Oh come on, don't touch someone's valve unless they specifically ask you to. The valve turn is from the perspective of the valve, as @Storker said, much experience with a screwdriver? I'll pass on you as a buddy.

I wouldn't touch anyones valve. I do have a lot of experience with a screwdriver.

Just trying to explain how boat crew can make the error of turning the valve the wrong way if they are not facing the valve.

I might pass on you as a buddy until you are a little more friendly.

I wouldn't touch anyones valve. I do have a lot of experience with a screwdriver.

Just trying to explain how boat crew can make the error of turning the valve the wrong way if they are not facing the valve.

I might pass on you as a buddy until you a little more friendly.
If anyone should be expected to do it correctly, it should be the boat crew. That's why I recommend one of the last things you do before jumping is to pre-breathe your reg, that will make sure nobody screwed it up. I'll never be more "friendly".

I blame those modern (fancy) kitchen / shower faucets, where you just lift the handles to turn on (and mix) the cold & hot water, instead of the good-old turn knobs, for getting them confused about turning on the water by turning the knob counter clockwise.

On some sinks with hot and cold water knobs, you turn the hot water knob clockwise to turn it on.

Muscle memory is no longer a thing?:)
Bob
I have lately tried to tap into that muscle memory by explaining that you turn the valve knob the same way as loosening or tightening a water bottle cap. May be more intuitive than "left loosey righty tighty."

Jury is still out on whether that helps or not...

It’s all fine to say that this is easy (and yes, I can use a screwdriver by feel), but if it’s so easy, why are we even having this discussion?

We are having the discussion because some people advocate turning a scuba valve completely on to dive it. And other's feel differently.

Easy for you doesn’t really mean easy for everyone.

I don't know if it's hard or easy to know whether you are opening or closing a scuba valve. But I do know that if you can't do that, you should learn how to do it before scuba diving.

Many things are hard for some people - clearing a mask, keeping neutrally buoyant, or switching to a buddy's backup second stage. But the answer is to insist on certain basic standards being met before someone can dive independently.

A gear solution to a skills problem isn't the answer. If you can't figure out whether you are turning your tank valve on or off, you don't need a better tank valve. You need to practice that skill until you can do it. Even if it's "hard".

I agree with your first sentence but the rest of your post was unnecessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom