Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The founder of PSI said that they can explode in a fire, as aluminum loses strength very fast, and the metal might reach yield strength before the pressure in the air rises to activate the burst disk. Espacially if the tanks were like half full. Say like after a night dive when the plan was to refill them in the morning...
]

It’s a mood point as the back of the boat, where the cylinders were, burned last. Besides, there were probably a lot of steel cylinders around. I don’t know anyone that dives Al-cylinders locally but some shops rent them.

I've had a thought.
There has been some discussion about smoke detectors, possibly not going off. What if it didn't? But it passed testing? The general test for most smoke detectors is to press the "test" button and hope you remember hearing protection while doing so. So the screaming memmie yells good and loud, but did it actually detect any smoke? Electronics in a salt water environment have never been known to be a good mix. Will the detector actually detect smoke? was it the right kind of smoke to trigger the detector? I remember something a long time ago about different detectors and one was tolerant of steam from a shower or a kitchen but the other style would fire off.
It was just a thought. Not like it will be able to be tested now since it burnt up and sat on the bottom of the ocean for a week. Could you fault the crew/USCG as they tested the detector is designed to be tested?

Granted all my USCG/ABS inspections haven’t been on subchapter t vessels, but whenever they test detectors they either use a heat gun for heat detectors or cans of smoke for smoke detectors. We’ve even had inspectors ask if there are any smokers onboard and then had them light a cigarette under the detectors.

Once again, not on a subchapter t vessel, but I have a COI inspection later this week. We’re all curious as to what they focus on and wouldn’t be surprised if firefighting and safety items are scrutinized more than normal.

]

It’s a mood point as the back of the boat, where the cylinders were, burned last. Besides, there were probably a lot of steel cylinders around. I don’t know anyone that dives Al-cylinders locally but some shops rent them.

Not sure about steel versus aluminum cylinders on the boat, but I agree that by the time any tanks started going the boat was already a TCL and those below were gone.

As far as the USCG "edict," that's about what I'd expect at this stage - a reminder to be vigilant rather than specific findings from the investigation.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This summary updated 14 Sept 2019 Updates are also posted on page one of this thread. Please follow links and read surrounding posts to keep up to date.

It is always best to read an entire thread before commenting. Due to the length of this one we are providing & updating this summary for topics covered. We believe this information is credible but it can not be established as proven facts prior to completion of the investigation.

Please be kind when you post here remember the special rules and consider families, friends and survivors who are reading this. Consider Accidents and Incident Threads: Victim Perspective

We can not determine the cause here but discussing possibilities may help to prevent future tragedies.

34 Casualties DNA identified

Conception compliant met or exceeded applicable USCG requirements on last inspection implies approved; fire alarms, fire fighting equipment and escape routes

NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) Preliminary Report
Preliminary Report: Marine DCA19MM047
Discussion points
  • concludes all crew sleeping
  • Statement in Preliminary Report says it may contain errors

Anchor Watch

Rough time line as reported
  • night dive time? commonly done by passengers; NO night dive by Crew
  • 2:30 crew member finished up in the galley verified heating elements were out and cold etc. Then went upstairs to bed. Not indicated if this was the designated Anchor Watch see
  • Between 3 and 3:14, a crew member awoke hearing a bang. He attempted to go down to investigate but stairs already afire.
  • 5 crew were in the wheelhouse two levels above the berth area. 1 crew member in the berth below did not survive.
  • crew jumped to deck, one broke leg other undisclosed ankle injuries
  • Captain first Mayday from Bridge documented 3:14
  • crew tried to reach the passengers from aft passage into the salon/galley then via forward front windows
  • forced from the boat by the fire some swam aft to the dingy & brought it alongside to rescue injured crew
  • sought help from nearby vessel Grape Escape Another Mayday call.

Most suspected causes of fire discussed
Battery discussions here

Original location of fire not yet established
  • former owner believes it started in passenger berth area
  • some believe it started in galley/salon area
Conception's layout and facilities
Exits from Dorm
  • main exit - stairs to starboard forward end of the dorm to the galley/salon.
  • emergency hatch above bunks at aft end of dorm exited in aft portion of the salon, just inside the passageway to the after deck.
  • no locked doors to the galley, salon or berth area.

The design of berth area and escape hatches discussed extensively. It meets current USCG standards which many believe may be changed as a result of this tragedy.

Excellent DAN article Mental Health post incident

Google Map link that shows Platt Harbor and the US Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands. Ventura and Santa Barbara are to the north