Newly Certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kristina Kaschke

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I just got back from Beaches Ocho Rios and were scuba diver certified. Looking forward to getting open water certified when we have the time and find a place. I’m in Connecticut so this time of year that’s hard to do. We will probably look into the open water next May when it’s warmer here.

Welcome to Scubaboard! We're glad to have you here.

Welcome to SB. You may be able to find a shop and do whatever pool work, etc. over winter then just the "checkout" dives in summer. I spend 7 weeks in NY area each summer and do the various CT shore dives, which are very much less than great....
Maybe you'll find a good hidden spot along the Sound....

Thank you. Yes CT is not a great place for diving. Of course when you’ve been in Jamaica diving I think I got spoiled. I was hooked after the first discover scuba dive. I think I’m in withdrawals now that we’re back in CT.

Welcome to SB and to the beautiful underwater world.

My husband and I just got back from Beaches Ocho Rios and were scuba diver certified. Looking forward to getting open water certified when we have the time and find a place. I’m in Connecticut so this time of year that’s hard to do. We will probably look into the open water next May when it’s warmer here.
Hi, and welcome to the wonderful world of scuba. Any chance you remember (or knew) what the water temperature was in Ocho Rios?

Thank you. Yes CT is not a great place for diving. Of course when you’ve been in Jamaica diving I think I got spoiled. I was hooked after the first discover scuba dive. I think I’m in withdrawals now that we’re back in CT.

Welcome to Scubaboard. You will get used to the feeling of withdrawal but I have to warn you, it never goes away.

Maya Riviera is a short 4 hour flight from NYC and if you do inexpensive Airbnb in places like Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, and Tulum you can do trips for relatively cheap. Public transportation between the three is easy and comfortable either via ADO or the collectivos.

Airfare doubled this year to Cancun and Coz but its still way cheaper than a crack habit. Which is what scuba is kind of like.

Hi, and welcome to the wonderful world of scuba. Any chance you remember (or knew) what the water temperature was in Ocho Rios?
I don’t know the exact temp but it was warm enough that I was comfortable in just my swimsuit and a rash guard and I’m pretty sensati e to the water temp. lol

I got the same cert in Ocho years ago... it's become a bit of an addiction :wink:

Keep diving and keep travelling around the Caribbean! Nothing against my beloved Jamaica but it has the least spectacular diving down there :wink:

I would try to get certified at home so when you get to somewhere nice you can hit the ground running. Why waste blue water and fish on OW drills?

Back
Top Bottom