Entangled Loose SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That works...this works much better with no fiddling...and it's ''breakaway''...where your version is not...

OK so you did the breakaway, now what?

Me...clip

Meanwhile your octo is Safety secured and hidden away.....just saying maybe consider another option for it.

Good observation!

That’s an old setup. I bought the Octopus clip, as shown below, and clip the Octopus onto my right chest D-ring.

8CE423BB-DFAC-40C8-BAD7-4F8597093BD0.jpeg

OK so you did the breakaway, now what?

Me...clip

When you get back on the boat/shore...you open your tool box...replace the hose clip retainer...

I keep a bag of these available...

W.W...

Now that's a blast from the past. I too remember SPG's that were directly connected via hose. Good times.

An opportunity for a mother of pearl dive console lost.

Yet another thing dive rescue teams need to start carrying: waterproof hydraulic spreaders ("Jaws of Life").

View attachment 551212

That's one reason I carry short hose (24") and small diameter (1/4") HP hose for SPG, running along my shoulder strap & clip it over chest D-ring to avoid entanglement. If it were entangled, I have dive knife to cut the hose off.

The HP hose has small orifice at the 1st stage regulator end. So I would have time to safely ascent with the HP hose cut off, as shown in the video, below.

Here is the earlier, shorter, and possibly better example of how fast you lose air with a hose/valve failure.
Life Ending Seconds • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Curt Bowen

You can be relatively unconcerned -- but you'd better surface -- if you have a high-pressure failure.
Low-pressure failures are possibly an emergency, especially late in a dive when you haven't got a lot of gas left anyway.

Without criticising

The ability to clip on and off, whether an spg, or smb or anything else, shouldn't be an issue. During AoW as part of buoyancy I get students to do all this, be able to find their d rings, open and close pockets etc. It shouldn't be task loading (but often is) and certainly shouldn't be a hassle.

Being able to manage simple tasks automatically should be natural.

I dive AI and SPG (unless in SM where AI serves little benefit to me) but that's my choice.
The SPG was not an “issue” for me - but why bother with the clip/unclip thing when I can lose the hose and SPG and read my air and other info right off of my wrists anytime I feel like it with full redundancy... and no worry about potential dangly bits... I much prefer the setup.

Every day I get more and more confirmation that I made the right choice to skip the traditional 100th dive commemoration.

I know that when your life depends on it, you ditch your kit, but there's some gear that I refuse to leave behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom